Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade my CPU

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 paulstyrin

paulstyrin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 05:35 AM

Greetings,

I have a pressario 433 Mhz celeron on a whitney 810 motherboard can I put any 370 socket celeron chip in it without it exploding, I can get a 1.3 Mhz one quite cheap but I don't want to melt it.

Also is it important whether it is PCGPA or FCGPA.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:32 PM

At the very least, a faster CPU would kill your battery life if it does fit. If the existing chip is a 'mobile' CPU, it will show improved power saving capabilities compared to 'standard' P3, P4, or Celery models and run at lower temperatures.

Try to check your laptop maker's website for specs on the mainboard, see what type of CPU it is designed to take.

If this is a desktop, upgrading a Compaq is rather pointless, the mainboards are often set up to handle a limitted range of options. You might cram a 500 or 650 in there, good luck on adding a 1300. One upgrade that might actually do some good is to add more RAM to the usually minimal factory allocation.

Edited by MalikTous, 01 June 2005 - 02:36 PM.

'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users