Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop on the move

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 technophobe

technophobe

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:04 PM

I dont really want a network as I think its a bit complicated for me.
I built my pc about 6 years ago, its now getting very tired and I'll soon have to lay it to rest.

If I tell you what I would like, can you tell me if it's possible please.

I would like to buy a laptop that I can use anywhere in my house. without wires for the internet.
Can you tell me what I would need.

do I have to have two computers with one in a static possition always connectd to the net and then the laptop works off that and can move around different rooms.

Does the lap top I buy have to have anything special.

Sorry this is probably a really dumb question but one I dont know the answer to :thumbsup:

Edited by technophobe, 13 February 2009 - 10:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technophobe

technophobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

18 views and no replies, maybe not such a dumb question after all :thumbsup:

#3 pheonix

pheonix

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:06 AM

Hi Technophobe,

This confugration is actually quite simple.

Basically, the only thing you need is a wireless router. You should research them to understand their function, but basically in a nutshell, they are a device that allow a wireless connection to the internet. For your laptop, you will need one that has a wireless network adapter. If you want to keep up with current standards, I recommend a router and wireless adapter that are N compatible.

Hope this helps,
Dave

#4 technophobe

technophobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:55 AM

Yes thanks dave I think I understand that.
So basically I can setup a wireless router with my new laptop then just disconnect the laptop and use it anywhere in my house ? and I wont need like a base computer that the laptop works off.

If I have that right, thank you very much.

I'll probably be back :thumbsup:

#5 pheonix

pheonix

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

Yes that's basically right.

I am not sure what you mean when you say

setup a wireless router with my new laptop then just disconnect the laptop

. You won't need to connect the laptop to the router at any stage. All you need to do is turn it on and turn the laptop on and everything should work.

However, the router must be a wireless router and the laptop must have a wireless network adapter. I highly recommend Billion routers, they are feature packed for a reasonable price. search for them in google :thumbsup:

Make sure you search the internet for "How to secure a wireless network" or post on the forum for more info. You will need to setup some wireless security to ensure only computers that you want will be able to connect to the wireless network!

Dave

#6 technophobe

technophobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

I am not sure what you mean when you say

setup a wireless router with my new laptop then just disconnect the laptop

. You won't need to connect the laptop to the router at any stage. All you need to do is turn it on and turn the laptop on and everything should work.

Really, amazing, I didnt know that. thought you would have to set up your ISP on the router. oh well if it's that easy, i should have a fighting chance.

At the mo. I have a D-LINK DSL-302G... do I just dump that and replace it with a wireless router ? or would I need to connect my modem to the new router ?

Thanks for the Advice.

#7 pheonix

pheonix

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:41 PM

Technophobe, I am sorry to mislead you. Language is very imprecise :thumbsup: You will have to connect the laptop to the router initially to set it up with ISP settings, etc. But after that you won't have to connect the laptop to router for normal use.

I think its easiest to dump the D-Link and purchase a wireless router. There are other avenues in terms of Access Points that you can purchase and just plug into the current router to allow wireless connection to it. This might be a cheaper alternative but it will be harder to setup then just purchasing a complete new wireless router.

For someone of your understanding of networks I would definately suggest you purchase a new wireless router (please don't be offended by this :flowers:) You might want to research the latest wireless technology to find out the best wireless router for your circumstances

Dave

#8 technophobe

technophobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

Understood.
Excellent reply, thanks Dave.
No offence taken, I'll be the first one to hold my hand up a admit I know nothing.
Thanks for being patient with me and my dumb questions.

Time for some reading I think.
Here's hopeing the router comes with instructions :flowers:

Thank you very much for your time and advice.

I'll be back :thumbsup:

#9 technophobe

technophobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:00 AM

Sorry mate, just a quickie.
Just a little confused as you said to dump the D-LINK modem, but the first bit of reading I did said I need to run the Router through it. http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/lo...ment&Click=

#10 pheonix

pheonix

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

lol again, sorry for more confusion. I didn't realise the D-LINK was a modem I was under the impression it was a router with inbuild modem functionality.

Some routers have inbuilt modems. If you already have a modem, you won't need one of these so you can just get a router that doesn't have modem functionality. If you do end up getting a router with modem functionality, then you can dump the D-Link all together and just use the new router for internet connection (modem) and wireless network access (router) :thumbsup:

Hope this makes sense,
Dave

#11 technophobe

technophobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

Ohhh, right, thanks for clearing that up.
Router with built in modem, I wont need my D-Link.
Router without built in Modem I will need my D-Link.

Better to get a all in one would you say ? had this D-Link about 4 years now.

Cheers

#12 pheonix

pheonix

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

Yep, in my opinion, all in one is the way to go.

Dave

#13 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

Hey Technophobe, I think the best way for you would be to call your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and ask if they actually sell or promote any wireless routers. Most ISPs sell this stuff and they could tell you what they have got. They would usually also set it up for. This is good, because to set it up you might need to know their network settings and call them anyway. In my case, I called the ISPs they came with the router and only left after I signed a form that my wireless internet is working. :thumbsup:
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#14 technophobe

technophobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:04 AM

Actually Patbox, that's what got me thinking of it in the first place.
Seeing some deals on their website if I bought their Wireless router and have their ADSL2+ it would actually work out cheaper for me then regular BB.
I may well go for their Router as then I'll get some tech. support, but I want to try and do as much as I can or I'll never lean.

Thanks very much for your advice, much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users