Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP problems/AVG AV won't reinstall - fear things are in worse shape than I realize

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 dbceee

dbceee

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:38 PM

History: My Home Office computer (with System info below) purchased in June 2007 configured RAID 1 - 3 year warranty

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DBC-OFFICE
System Manufacturer MSI
System Model MS-7241
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~1866 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V1.1, 23/10/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Canada
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name DBC-OFFICE\user
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 931.33 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.84 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Had ISP-based Norton Internet Security system on it and Windows Defender up until Mid-January 2009, nothing else for malware or adware

Started having start-up problems, tried to run Windows XP repair program - wouldn't let me complete the process - can't remember what the error message said but it was related to missing files (sorry I can't find the details I wrote down)

Took Norton Security system out with the Norton Removal tool, reinstalled Ghost 12 and ran a complete back up of my HD via Ghost on an external HD

Installed AVG AV Free, Malware Bytes and Ad-aware and got rid of a fair bit of nasty stuff by running full scans with all 3 programs.

Had problems with AVG AV Free running properly and had to uninstall it and then couldn't re-install it and keep getting the error message: Local machine: installation failed, Installation: Error: Action failed for file avgtdix.sys: starting service.... Error 0x80070014

Did a system restore point and then used XP Repair Pro to run Registry and System Repair and defragment the Registry and to cut down on some of the unneeded process at start up [had over 100 Windows Task manager process running after start up, got it down to 75 but still know it's too high]

I'm concerned some of my OS files are damaged [that I can't seem to repair] and I'm guessing there's viral/malware/spyware issues still.

I downloaded McAfee VirusScan Plus 90-day free trial to cover myself in the mean time...

Where do we start?

Thanks,

dbceee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:29 PM

Hi,
A few thoughts.
-If you are still infected then so is your Hard drive image you created!!
-Read this and consider posting a log for evaluation in the HjT forum
-Registry cleaners do not improve system performance and can actual cause harm to your OS.

Hope that helps,
t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

Hello dbceee,

Now that you have a log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/203140/system-slow/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users