Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect two Computers to one screen over the internet.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dilemma13

Dilemma13

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

Hey,

Me and one of my buddies want to work on a project together that is on my computer
although he lives far away from here.
I'm looking for a way to connect two Computers (one is mine, the other my friends) to one screen (being mine) over the internet.
Is there any way this is possible?
Any program?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:55 AM

If all you need to do is be able to use one of the computers from the other, VNC is a pretty good remote control application that lets you take complete control of the remote computer. You can download it for free from realvnc.com. If you need to do more advanced things such as sharing files or printing, or any sort of collaboration, a commercial app such as GoToMyPC might be a better option.

Depending on your version of Windows, you might also be able to use the Remote Assistance utility to give the other person remote access to the computer.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#3 Dilemma13

Dilemma13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:49 AM

Well i wanted to use vnc but i couldnt figure out how to enable two computers to control one.]
for example:

lets say i have 3 computers.
i want to control the first one with both the 2nd and the third.
Thanks for the reply btw.

#4 pheonix

pheonix

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:50 AM

Hi Dilemma13,

There is a program called TightVNC that allowes this capability. It is free and if you go to the administration tab (if I recall correctly) you will be able to set a setting that allowed shared connection from remote clients.

Hope it helps,
Dave

#5 Dilemma13

Dilemma13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:01 AM

Hi Dilemma13,

There is a program called TightVNC that allowes this capability. It is free and if you go to the administration tab (if I recall correctly) you will be able to set a setting that allowed shared connection from remote clients.

Hope it helps,
Dave

Thank you. i tried it but i couldn't figure out how to set it up for 3 computers to control 1 (being one of the three) at the same time. Any help?

Edited by Dilemma13, 15 February 2009 - 12:08 AM.

#6 pheonix

pheonix

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

Dilemma, I think it is going to be easier to just setup a logmein account. This is a free remote access website where everything is done through a browser rather than worrying about mucking about with opening ports for VNC apps. It also has capabilities of mini meetings so you can basically do what you need by inviting other colleagues to view your computer screen. The only thing is - and this is actually a big thing - its not free if you want mini meeting capability. You will have to register for a pro account, but the pricing is pretty competative(I paid US$34.95 for 1 year membership) and its a great product since you never have to worry about opening ports and you can literally access your computer from anywhere in the world provided you have an internet connection and a browser.

All the details are available on http://www.logmein.com/

If you want to try TightVNC, on the computer where the TightVNC server is running:
1. Double click the "V" icon in task bar
2. Click "Administration" tab
3. In the "Connection Priority" groupbox, check "Automatic shared sessions".

I have never actually tried this before but from the context of the groupbox I am assuming it is exactly what your after and should hopefully work :thumbsup:

Let me know how it goes!

Dave

#7 Dilemma13

Dilemma13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:53 AM

Dilemma, I think it is going to be easier to just setup a logmein account. This is a free remote access website where everything is done through a browser rather than worrying about mucking about with opening ports for VNC apps. It also has capabilities of mini meetings so you can basically do what you need by inviting other colleagues to view your computer screen. The only thing is - and this is actually a big thing - its not free if you want mini meeting capability. You will have to register for a pro account, but the pricing is pretty competative(I paid US$34.95 for 1 year membership) and its a great product since you never have to worry about opening ports and you can literally access your computer from anywhere in the world provided you have an internet connection and a browser.

All the details are available on http://www.logmein.com/

If you want to try TightVNC, on the computer where the TightVNC server is running:
1. Double click the "V" icon in task bar
2. Click "Administration" tab
3. In the "Connection Priority" groupbox, check "Automatic shared sessions".

I have never actually tried this before but from the context of the groupbox I am assuming it is exactly what your after and should hopefully work :flowers:

Let me know how it goes!

Dave

Thank You. Exactly what i was looking for! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users