Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive sees but cannot open iso file

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gyster

gyster

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:51 PM

Hello,

I have downloaded windows 7 64 bit, and burned it to a dvd. When I insert the dvd into the drive, it spins up and opens a window like my computer, and the iso file is displayed. I have tried opening the file with Nero, winrar, and winimage. The most I have been able to do is extract a txt readme file. This system is an Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro with a Q9550 processor, 3g ram running on XP Pro 32 bit. The DVD drive is an external (USB) LG GSA-2166D.

When I insert the same disk in my Dell notebook, winrar opens and more files are listed, including setup.exe.

I would like to install Win7 on the Asus system. Any advice is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

If it's a bootable DVD...you don't have to open anything, it should boot from initial startup (assuming that the optical drive is selected as the first boot option).

Did you burn the .iso file to DVD using an .iso-burn program? That's how I convert the .iso file to bootable DVD.

I don't know how winrar would open a download from Microsoft...my .iso file did not download from MS in .rar format, it was strictly an .iso format.

Louis

#3 gyster

gyster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:19 PM

Thanks hamluis, I appreciate that you have taken the time to respond. The file is an iso file, but on my laptop, winrar opens when I insert the disk, and the files are listed. I'll try changing boot sequence and see if this begins installation.

Thanks again,

guy

#4 gyster

gyster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:31 PM

That didn't work either. I set the USB DVD drive as the first boot drive, and the normal boot HD as second. The DVD drive spun up, and I got a flashing cursor briefly, but then the system booted from C: as normal. I used Nero 8 to burn the file. When I double-click the setup.exe file on my laptop, it does start the installer, but I cancel it because I don't want to install it there.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

In NERO select "RECORDER", select "BURN IMAGE". Select your "ISO" file, burn it to a fresh disc.

EDIT: Even better, download "Imgburn" and use that. Makes life so much easier. To set up a virtual drive to view/use ISO/Image files, Elby Clonedrive does well.

Edited by dpunisher, 12 February 2009 - 10:49 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 gyster

gyster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:13 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks dpunisher, I think I've got a bootable disk now (using ImgBurn). I rebooted the pc and started to boot from the dvd drive, got past the "starting windows" screen to the blue screen that says windows 7 build 7000 for testing purposes only. Unfortunately, everything came to a screeching hault at that point. I'll move this dicussion over to the Win7 forum. All the same, I appreciate the generosity of those who donate their time here.

guy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users