Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adaware SE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chirpingbird

chirpingbird

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:46 AM

Hello everyone,

I installed Ad aware SE a day back and did a full-system scan with it. It indicated above 60 critical objects. In the registry scan it included about 9 Alexa objects and 2 windows object (type Reg data). And there were around 50 tracking cookies.

I have been having problems with my browser being hijacked and I can not change my home page. And the comments about the 2 windows object indicated the same.

Now what do I do with them? Do I delete them all? Or are they harmless? If I do delete them will they harm my computer in some way?

And what are the Alexa objects? Should I delete them?

I heard that tracking cookies are harmless? Are they or do I need to delete them too?

Please help everyone. I am new to this and I have no idea what I am doing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:09 AM

Hello chirpingbird,
You have come to the right place for help with malware and AdAware SE is an excellent aid to cleaning your system of this garbage.
When I use AdAware I let it delete anything it finds by right clicking an item and clicking on "select all objects" so everything is ticked. Tracking cookies are disposable - it doesn't matter if they are 'good' or 'bad', you will get new ones the next time you visit your websites. Alexa objects should be deleted and the Registry items removed. Just let AdAware do its thing.
However it is not sufficient on its own, to do all that is needed these days. I recommend you also use Spybot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster and A-squared all of which are free programs which are highly recommended in this community. There are lots of tutorials, here at BC, which give you step by step instructions on many ways to keep your system safe while online.
See this one in particular:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Sim...rnet-tut82.html

and here is my mantra for cleaning your system:
Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

A-squared complements anti-virus software by specializing in detecting Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. It is free for private use but registration is required.
Download it from here: A-squared

Let us know how you go.
:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 01 June 2005 - 06:15 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:10 AM

It's probably a good idea to uncheck the button for "negligible risk entries" before you scan. These are not considered threats and it won't break your computer if you delete them, but they do contain information about places you've browsed which you want or may actually need to use.

This is echoed in the Bleeping Computer guide to Ad-Aware, which you'll find here.

#4 over_kill

over_kill

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 04:30 PM

Any object AdAware finds under "Critical" is bad, i recommend deleting them all by right clicking on one of the boxes and doing a "Select All Objects" then click the remove button

#5 chirpingbird

chirpingbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:36 PM

Hello chirpingbird,
You have come to the right place for help with malware and AdAware SE is an excellent aid to cleaning your system of this garbage.
When I use AdAware I let it delete anything it finds by right clicking an item and clicking on "select all objects" so everything is ticked. Tracking cookies are disposable - it doesn't matter if they are 'good' or 'bad', you will get new ones the next time you visit your websites. Alexa objects should be deleted and the Registry items removed. Just let AdAware do its thing.
However it is not sufficient on its own, to do all that is needed these days. I recommend you also use Spybot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster and A-squared all of which are free programs which are highly recommended in this community. There are lots of tutorials, here at BC, which give you step by step instructions on many ways to keep your system safe while online.
See this one in particular:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Sim...rnet-tut82.html

and here is my mantra for cleaning your system:
Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG  uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:

Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

A-squared complements anti-virus software by specializing in detecting Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. It is free for private use but registration is required.
Download it from here: A-squared

Let us know how you go.
:thumbsup:

Thanks Rimmer for the suggestions. I deleted all the critical objects. And I can now change my home page manually.

I have an updated anti-virus program installed in my computer. Do I need another one?

Also I have Yahoo Anti-spy installed. Do I still need Spybot Search and Destroyer? Why?

Chirpingbird

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:11 AM

I have an updated anti-virus program installed in my computer. Do I need another one?

No, you should only run one anti-virus program on your system.

Do I still need Spybot Search and Destroyer? Why?

Yes, I recommend you have all the ones I listed as a minimum. Malware comes in many forms and no one anti-spyware program deals well with it all. The programs I listed are all recommended by the experts on this site (and many others) and make a combination that gives good security coverage. There are probably other combinations and there are certainly other anti-spyware programs around that individual people 'swear by' but my own opinion is that these are the most widely accepted as doing a good job, provided they are updated frequently.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 chirpingbird

chirpingbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:30 PM

No, you should only run one anti-virus program on your system.

Do I still need Spybot Search and Destroyer? Why?

Yes, I recommend you have all the ones I listed as a minimum. Malware comes in many forms and no one anti-spyware program deals well with it all. The programs I listed are all recommended by the experts on this site (and many others) and make a combination that gives good security coverage. There are probably other combinations and there are certainly other anti-spyware programs around that individual people 'swear by' but my own opinion is that these are the most widely accepted as doing a good job, provided they are updated frequently.

hth :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help Rimmer.

Chirpingbird

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users