Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best WYSIWYG editor's

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

I first started out using WYSIWYG html editors... Since then i have moved on to just creating the html, letely i have had a few people ask me what is the best html editor for newbies... so i thought i'd ask here...

I know i used the blogging tool wordpress for a while, which has a nice WYSIWYG editor, then moved to dreamweaver, which had a bit of both worlds.

What would you's recommend to newbies or people with a little bit of html knowledge?

So really, i just want to know what use guys would use to edit html. Dreamweaver? notepad? let me know.

Cheers,

Brad

Edited by KamakaZ, 12 February 2009 - 05:53 PM.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:33 PM

What does 'best' mean?

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:34 PM

Well... best... easies to use for newbies, easy to find features and what not.

I suppose i didn't really mean best, i just wanted to get an idea what people use for editing/creating webpages (be it HTML, PHP, or whatever...)

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#4 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:38 PM

I teach my students using Dreamweaver. Many of them know absolutely nothing about anything regarding website construction other than basic HTML codes (such as bold and italics) that they picked up from posting on their My Space or Face Book accounts.

With introduction first about the essentials of file structure and file naming required for web servers, I get them started on a very basic web site. I have them start off using a split screen (half design/half code) so that they can see what HTML code is being generated. Within about 5 to 7 class days, they can easily understand more complex code and are not afraid to start working completely in the code screen exclusively. Some never take the jump and prefer to work in design view only, but most will "get it" that they need to figure out how to code to really go anywhere.

Most of my students are between 15 and 17. Some are now second year students in my web design class. Several are working with PHP using Dreamweaver. One student writes CSS in notepad and saves them into the Dreamweaver files that his classmates work on (we maintain real sites).

Point: Dreamweaver does have a bit of a higher learning curve than the old Microsoft FrontPage edition, but taught correctly and slowly from the start, it's easy to move to writing HTML code on your own, and it's certainly a much more reliable code than FrontPage ever generated (I have taught both pieces of software). And the students seem to take to learning code more eagerly this way (they are so visual and want instant results) than if I started off teaching them HTML in notepad.

#5 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:01 PM

Has anyone tried Coffee Cup HTML Editor? I have the free version which doesn't let you use the visual tab, but apart from that it is pretty cool. Definately worth checking out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users