Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-partition a drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kyle943

kyle943

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:12 AM

Hi, I am new here hopefully you may be able to help me. I have a hard disk that I installed on my comp with windows 2000. However, the c partition on the drive is minute, almost just enough room for the os, but there is alot of space on the 2nd partition d. I need to re-size the c partition to install certain programs I need. Is this even possible? please advise, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 04:32 AM

Hi kyle943,
A program I have used successfully is Partition Magic which gives you a very clear graphical interface on what you're about to do. This is a commercial program though i.e. it costs something like $100.

There are almost certainly freeware applications which will do a similar job but obviously it is a USE AT YOUR OWN RISK scenario. Back up everything you can before you try it.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:24 AM

I'm not sure how you would resize it without loosing anything or either hard drive.

Rimmer can "Partition Magic" resize partitions without loosing data?

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:42 AM

Yes, Partition Magic can resize without losing data. Good idea to defragment both partitions first.

#5 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:04 PM

If you do it with PartitionMagic or Vopt, you have to buy a copy. If you use a LiveCD Linux and fpartn or diskdruid, it's free but you have to work through Linux. Both optioons will do the job.

Another option would be to use a tool like XTeq XSetup and move the default 'program files' and 'my documents' or 'documents and settings' folders to the other partitions, then re-install all applications and copy your data over to the new directories.

Also, move your page/swap file to somewhere other than the boot partition.
'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

#6 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:13 PM

It's generally easiest in this situation to just install a 2nd hard disk in the computer, copying the contents of the D: partition to it, then wiping out the partition from the first hd and giving it all back the the C: drive. Costs less and you get much, much more free space.

But if it's a must, then I would recommend Partition Magic for ease of use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users