Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

I have 2 IP Addresses (and one is vanishing)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:04 PM

Yesterday I found I had a second internet address. checked it out at whois and spamhaus/net watchmen, because I thought I had been highjacked, or maybe it was because I had signed up for Windows Live, and I also have a firefox browser. I was surprised to learn that my internet service provider doesn't provide SMTP authorization, as when I check for connectivity, that usually pops up, too.

When I first checked out the second address, there was an ad from a broadband company about securing my address designation. That company was legitimate according to my other applications and a check on WHOIS, but why was it highjacking a tab?

Today, the little flag in the system try that tells me I am "always connected" has stayed up, it is blank unless I click on it. (It comes up legitimately when I click on the Earthlink task panel.) So the address appeared briefly, I checked at WHOIS (part of a blackbox/shared address network) and I checked at Spamhaus. The address is no longer there, for any purpose seemingly.

I had heard a few months ago that the internet would run out of addresses in a few years. Well, it hasn't been that long. And why do I have to share my address? I am not a business, I have no roommates except for the fuzzy wuzzy feline kind, and I have been getting all kinds of weird spam that I have been checking up on google.

I have been trying to clean up my computer for a while now so I can get a new ISP. Mine has been moribund for a while, went from a large share of users in the last decade to hardly any now. No wonder!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nospam

nospam

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

You bring up an interesting topic. I would ask your ISP if you are allowed 2 IP addresses at once. Is your usual IP from your ISP static? Mine are not, I get a different IP from my provider pretty often. Most endusers can change their IP if they like, but there are some exceptions to that. I am not sure exactly what happened with you and your ISP in having 2 IPs at once, but it could be an error somewhere on their end with the router.

Did you check with your ISP to see if you are allowed 2 IPs? I know I am not entitled to that. I look at IP addresses all the time and I check my own often to see what it is.

If you want to check an IP to see if it blacklisted, try a metasearch that compiles a bunch of different RBLs (real time blacklists) (including Spamhaus) at http://www.robtex.com/ then go to the blacklist tab or use http://www.blacklistalert.org/ if robtex is down. Sometimes these blacklist checkers have spotty web performance. Some of the blacklists are extreme, but if you see CBL blacklisting your IP, then I would be concerned about a compromise. With the other listings, it varies tremendously, as they could be blocking a very big IP range and not just yours. You can change the last octet of your IP to check and if it is blocking a range of IPs, then someone else on your IP range is the culprit.

When I first checked out the second address, there was an ad from a broadband company about securing my address designation. That company was legitimate according to my other applications and a check on WHOIS, but why was it highjacking a tab?

That I am not sure. I would definitely scan my system to make sure it is clean.

I had heard a few months ago that the internet would run out of addresses in a few years. Well, it hasn't been that long. And why do I have to share my address?

Supposedly, IPs (on the current IPv4) are running out in a few years. I have been hearing about it for at least a decade now. But keep in mind not all IPs are being actively used right now, not by a long shot. Most large swaths of IPs are allocated and way back before the Internet got very popular and commercialized some entities like universities and older companies like IBM received huge numbers of IP addresses. Certainly they do not use all of them. For serveral years now ARIN ( American Registry for Internet Numbers) the organization that allocates IP addresses in the US) is very strict on handing out the remaining IP ranges to organizations online. They check to make sure existing IPs are used properly (this is due to the anticipated shortage) So while we supposedly run out, the next generation protocol IPv6 will be implemented across the Internet (and it will be expensive to do this) and that will allow many more IPs to be used.

#3 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:50 PM

NOTE TO MOD: Blank out any information you feel is appropriate:

What does this mean?

WAN IP Address:68.127.87.236
DNS Servers:207.69.188.187, 207.69.188.186

LAN Port Address:
LAN IP Address 172.16.0.254 MAC Address 00:13:49:14:48:76
DHCP Information:
LAN IP Address 172.16.1.10 MAC Address 00:16:76:66:f6:9f

WAN appears to be for my browser, locally. It used to be that, if I tested my IP location, I would only get one, even if I was using one of my other, much rarely-used browsers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users