Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension PC - No video at start up until you reset once.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Helio

Helio

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:40 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with this Dell. When you cold boot, the pc starts up and you hear the fans and hard drive etc but there is no video on the monitor. The monitor light is amber when the pc is off, turns green momentarily when the pc is powered on, then goes amber again even though the pc is still booting. If you leave it alone the monitor will never come on but if you hit the reset button it restarts and video is seen immediately. This is not intermittent, it happens the same way every time and nothing else seems to be affected. An ideas on what it could be?

Thanks for your help:)
Resistance is futile.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

do you have an aftermarket video card installed? My custom built does the same thing after I installed my video card, for some reason when I turn it on the first time It doesnt initialize the video card, best reason I can think of for it is because it draws more power (needs a 6 pin and a 8 pin power connector) that the computer is late the first time telling the PSU to give it power and it doesnt, when I hit the reset button it finally sends the right command and it works. I have tried everything I can think of to fix it including a bios update, which helped some but didnt solve it. If the issue is an aftermarket video card, then most likely, in my case it may be something you just have to deal with. its annoying, but it hasnt hurt my computer any. if not well, its hard to tell we need to know what kinda hardware configuration your running to be able to give you a more definite answer.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Helio

Helio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

The pc is similar to this one:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,8219,00.asp

The only difference is that it has 512mb instead of the 256mb listed in the review.

It does not have an after market vid card and there have been no changes to the hardware or software recently other than av definitions and automatic windows updates. This pc is also on dialup and see's very little time online. Thats probably why the av and spyware scans came back clean:)
Resistance is futile.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:49 PM

well, it does look like it has a dedicated graphics card, but im not completly sure thats the problem but its possible. is this a new problem or has it always been this way? to eliminate video card issues if u have another older compatible video card laying around try swapping them out, if not well, we can go from there. My guess is not all your parts are getting power right away (Power supply issue) its just figuring out which part isnt getting the power and for what reason. the problem could be a failing power supply or the motherboard isnt divvying out the power equally the way it should.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Helio

Helio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

The problem is recent. It started about 2 months ago. I will try another PSU and see what happens.
Resistance is futile.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

that is a good place to start, but if it still does it after that then my guess is the problem is either your motherboard or your video card, my money would be on the video card if it isnt the PSU.

picard5.jpg

#7 Helio

Helio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:35 PM

Sorry i took so long to get results back. I tried a new evga pci video card and a new antec psu and the problem persists. PC starts without video, reset it and you've got video the second time around. Only thing left is the mobo right?
Resistance is futile.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

ok, so it boots the second time? I think I might now the problem, because I have the same issue with my saphire 3870 x2. If i turn it on (from hibernate or cold boot) it does exactly what you described, but when I hit reset it boots up fine. it used to be when I put it in hibernate, it would boot up and have all kinds of issues on boot, a bios update fixed that but the problem with hitting the reset button persisted. Near as I can figure, for whatever reason your motherboard isnt supplying the power needed to the video card to boot it up the first time, but when you hit reset it does. Im not totally sure why, I know a lot of people with this issue, could be a minor motherboard/video card compatibility issue, or something else. in any case, Ive been booting my computer like that for over a year now, it doesnt hurt anything. if you want to try a different motherboard, you can, but I would get a different brand motherboard, not the same one, cuz my guess is theres nothing wrong with the motherboard other then a glitch. But if it were me, I would just hit the reset button, it doesnt hurt anything.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users