Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Holy fazorking bleepe! Wanna hear my story?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:04 PM

Okay. So as some of you may recall, I posted here a couple days ago because I was thinking of adding some more RAM to my system.

Yesterday I decided to go for it --- however, I decided against installing it myself. I know I probably could have done it, but for some reason I always feel much more comfortable letting a professional do things.

Anyway. I carried my hard drive in to a computer store here in town (not the same people I bought the system from). I told them what I wanted done, gave them my name and number and told them to call me when they were done. Then I was browsing through the store looking at different things they have for sale --- software and stuff. (I'm a sucker for all of it).

A few minutes later the tech comes out front, looks around, and comes over when he sees me. "I was hoping you hadn't left", he said. "Wanna come back here for a minute? I have something to show you."

He took me back to where my hard drive lay exposed on a table, and pointed to a spot inside. "Do you see those little heads there?" I nodded. "Well, they're supposed to be flat. As you can see, yours aren't."

Then he says, "I'm going to put this in complete laymen's terms....Your motherboard is totally bleeped."

To make a long story short --- I went in there yesterday to get a $80 memory upgrade and walked out of there today with a $400 repair job.

I can't even name half the stuff he said he had to replace, but it all basically led back to the motherboard. Plus he changed the chipset (it was faulty), upgraded the memory, performed a software check and did a physical cleanout of the hard drive.

Plus, when I went back to retrieve my machine today, he informed me that my CD-ROM/burner is "slowly dying". Well --- that doesn't matter much, since my new DVD drive does all that anyway. But still. My God.

On the upside, my computer is now running much more smoothly and I am VERY pleased with the service I received.

I just thought I'd share my story with you all.

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:33 PM

One of the reasons why I make sure to help as many people as I can.... going to chain stores is sometimes a necessary thing, but not always. I'm sorry they did that to you, even though you did ok in the end. I have a new client who was told by a chain store that his laptop needed a new hard drive. I asked if he wanted me to take a look at it, heck I do diagnostics for free... So I looked at it, ran Hijack this (great practice stuff!) and also ran Adaware and Spybot. Long story short, it's clean and happy. If he took it to the store, I can guarantee he'd have a new laptop...

Thanks for sharing!
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#3 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:09 PM

Well, don't get me wrong! I'm totally grateful that they found and fixed the problem! Considering the fact that there were half a dozen blown capacitators on my motherboard that were leaking, I think I would have been much worse off if I *hadn't* gone to a tech.

Reading back through my post, it seems that I made it look as though I thought the repairs were unnecessary. I know they weren't; as a matter of fact, I realize that they were completely necessary.

Plus, I did have a really positive experience. The technicians explained absolutely everything to me before they did it, and as a matter of fact made it perfectly clear that they would only do the repairs that were absolutely necessary. They provided me with a list of the things that needed to be done, gave me a price, and even cut me a huge deal on some of the repairs.

I am totally thrilled with the service I received, and I thought it was a nice change, since most of my repair experiences (with ANY electronic equipment) have been hell on earth.

Dell Inspiron 5537
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

#4 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:16 AM

I wasn't knocking your experience, I apologize if it sounded like that. I applaud your good experience with a retail chain store. They are rare.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#5 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:19 AM

Yeah, I was totally thrilled with the way I was treated. At the place where I bought my computer, I always felt like I was dismissed as an idiot every time I brought my system in. And nothing was ever explained to me.

:thumbsup:) Good experience. I'd recommend these guys to ANYONE!

Dell Inspiron 5537
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:17 AM

I don't think it would be inappropriate if you were to mention the name of the chain, in the hopes that that kind of service is their policy.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 justfoo

justfoo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:07 PM

Computergeek, I don't have much to add except good for you in finding someone who is interested in service and not the bill at the end. Kind of like finding a doctor or a mechanic that talks your language.
Anyway what I really wanted to say was: awesome job on the title of this post ! lol
I may just add that to my repetoir of non cussing comments hehe.
Take care.
Never let a computer know you're in a hurry. DF

#8 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:57 PM

jgweed:

Sorry I didn't respond sooner to your post! But I only just saw it now. The name of the computer store where I was treated so wonderfully is D&K Computers. It's a local store, not a big "chain" store, so unfortunately their expertise only extends to those of us lucky enough to live in this area (central Newfoundland). :thumbsup:)

Dell Inspiron 5537
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users