Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a Windows Vista Disk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:55 AM

Ok, I have recentally bought an HP laptop and its the only computer I have currently runing windows Vista, being the case, I have no Windows Vista disk as HP likes the recovery partition option.

However I would still like to have a Windows Vista Home Premium disk as a personal security thing :huh:

Does any one know of any way I can obtain one with out the use of purchasing another disk or torrenting? I already paid for the licence I don't feel I should have to buy a whole other licence just to obtain the disk.

(Still waiting for Microsoft to put a download to an ISO if you have a valid licence...)
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:43 PM

I used this site to download a recovery disk:
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vist...-disc-download/

NeoSmart Technologies is hosting a copy of the Windows Vista Recovery Disc for your convenience. It is a 120 MiB download, and in the standard ISO format

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:44 PM

hi,,, i to have a hp,,, when you go into backup and restore it will ask you if you want to make a recovery disc,,,, it usually takes 2 dvd's,,, you can also get the disc's from hp but it will cost you $$
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

As Figgis41 relates, you can make recovery disks from the HP recovery program. In most cases it takes 3 DVD's, but recently HP has slimmed them down to 2 DVD's.

Also, I've requested Restore DVD's in the past from HP - and they've never cost more than $20 US and I got them in just a couple of days. If it's still under warranty they may send them free if there was a hard drive replacement involved. :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

Well my thought process behind this request is really

" I paid for the license, so if this computer dies, why not release the dead one of the license and use it on another computer? "

I was wondering if it could be done.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

Depends on the EULA that you agreed to when you first installed it. For example, if you've got an HP system the copy of Vista that you have is only licensed for that system.

Also, you'll find that you can't install the HP disks on another system as it'll generate an error that it's not authorized for that system.
Also, if you try to install with another disk it's likely to give you an error that the product key is not valid for that product.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users