Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vundo.trojan was removed by symptoms persist

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 CRCgeek

CRCgeek

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:30 AM

I have a number of laptops that had the vundo.trojan removed by malwarebytes. After the removal IE7 stopped working properly.
Symptoms:
Users are unable to access many secure sites, such as banking etc. Most sites that require a username and password appear but the text boxes for entering securityinformation are missing. Some sites do not appear at all.
Programs that call html pages , such as windows help and support, do not load.
Windows media player 10 and 11 will not launch.
Microsoft Updates will not run.
Users cannot print from IE7 or Outlook messages with HTML content.
I installed FireFox to enable the users to have internet access until this is fixed.
My meager attempts to resolve the issue:
I have tried many things in the past few days to resolve this on my own. I'm getting disparate. Nothing I try has any impact on the problem.
I thought perhaps this was related to recent windows updates so I removed all new KBs with Add Remove programs.
I ran hijackthis, malwarebytes and mcafee antivirus in safe mode and nothing new was found.
I've downloaded and reinstalled IE7 and windows media player.
Turned on Windows AutoUpdate - no updates happen
Your site was recommended to me by ExpertsExchange. I'm hoping you can get to the root of the problem.
Attached are my logs from the dds scan.

Thank you so much for taking some time to help me with this aggravating problem. My only other option is to rebuild all these laptops.
Dawn

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CRCgeek

CRCgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

I ran combofix on the laptop that I'm currently working on and it fixed my problems. Thanks so much for creatings such a wonderful program. Do you still need the logs etc?

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for informing us what you've done.

If your system is working there's no need for additional logs.

This Topic is closed.

Should you need it reopened, please contact a Forum Moderator. Include the address of this thread in your request.

If you have a new issue, please start a New Topic.

This applies only to the original poster. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

R,
K
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users