Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System locks up too often

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:17 AM

I have a Dell Dim 5150 and I've noticed that on my computer tower it has the Home Edition sticker, but when i run winver it says I have professional.. so which version do i have .. don't really think it matters much anyway does it?

Also main problem, my computer locks up completely extremely often so I have to constantly restart it by pushing the button on my computer for about 10 secs. I've had it reformatted 3 times over the past year with no luck and the computer is only 2 or 3 years old. This is what happens every time it crashes:

- i hear a click sound inside the computer, like its just turned itself off or like something inside has stopped working..
- computer screen freezes on the last screen im on
- mouse cursor freezes in its last position
- keyboard doesn't work so cant do alt-ctrl-del or anything at all BUT i've noticed that the numlock light stays on (i always have it on - personal preference), and if caps lock is on, that light stays on too. but i can't turn off caps lock or numlock, so its like the keyboard has stopped working.. but not.. confusing..
- if im listening to music, the music stops playing i.e. speakers stop working but the light for those stays on BUT i am able to turn the speakers off when it crashes

Once when it crashed, I left the computer on for a whole day while i was out, came back, still frozen, still cant do anything but push the button to restart.

I have scanned for viruses/malware etc.. I have windows live onecare which i only installed after the second reformat so i'm ruling that out as a problem. I have WinXP sp3, automatic updates are set, have looked on microsoft site for updates too.

I have tried as much as I can to fix this problem. took it to the pc store, the guy said its something connected to my computer because he didnt find any problem.I have had my printer completely unplugged from computer for a while which hasnt helped, unpkugged speakers.. only other unnecessary thing is netgear wireless router which we unplugged for a week, didnt fix problem. So I don't have anything else to unplug from the computer apart from mouse/keyboard/monitor.

I would really appreciate some help please. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:26 AM

Look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are showing up at the times that this is happening.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for reply.

I have done what you said, these are the warnings and errors:

Error: 7034 - The Ati HotKey Poller service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

This warning has come up alot of times:

Warning: 4226 - TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:14 AM

If you have reformatted and reinstalled the operating system in the last year and have had the same problem I would suspect the hard drive. If you download System Information for Windows you can find out who the manufacturer is for your hard drive. Open SIW and scroll down to the hardwares section, find Storage Devices and click on it. In the pane on the right you should see Direct Access Device, the manufacturer will be to the right of this. Once you know who the manufacturer is you can go to their web site and download their diagnostic tool. You will need to burn this to a CD so that you can boot from it. You may need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that it is seen as the first device in the boot order.

But first, let's try running chkdsk.

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

You may get a message asking if you would like to restart the computer to start the scan, click on yes.

Manually run Chkdsk

Start> Run and type in chkdsk /r (please notice the space between the k and the/) and then click on OK.

A black page with white printing will appear, type in Y, and click on Enter key.

Chkdsk will run when the computer restarts.

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed. In this case you should check both boxes.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

You may get a message asking if you would like to restart the computer to start the scan, click on yes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Luser

Luser

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

Warning: 4226 - TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

If you use a torrent program or download through DC/torrent or any other filesharing program this message is pretty common and nothing you need to worrie about.

Your problem sounds more like hardware related i would do a memetest+ test and check the RAM if its fubar. If its not the RAM then its probebly Hardrive, Motherboard or CPU related.

Edited by Luser, 12 February 2009 - 10:28 AM.

Dont want to have problems with your computer?
Solution : install a good free anti virus, anti spyware & and stay away from misleading applications. Update your OS and vital programs as often as you can, to shut down those open security holes.
Stay away from shareware and trailware applications, avoid installing browser addins and toolbars. Read up on things before trying new applications.

Learn more about : Viruses, malmware & trojans | Need a bootdisk? | Want to know what that EventID mean? | Cybercrimes what is that?

#6 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:36 AM

@ Arachibutyrophobia, thanks I will try those later on.

If you use a torrent program or download through DC/torrent or any other filesharing program this message is pretty common and nothing you need to worrie about.

Your problem sounds more like hardware related i would do a memetest+ test and check the RAM if its fubar. If its not the RAM then its probebly Hardrive, Motherboard or CPU related.

Before the last reformat i ran that test on the ram forever and it didnt find any errors.

And only thing i download from is iTunes.

Edited by FunkyChicka, 12 February 2009 - 10:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users