Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use 1 IDE + 2 SATA with 3 OS's ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JudeCP

JudeCP

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:34 AM

Hi Im going to buy a new 160GB SATA next week,Currently I have a 40GB IDE and a 80GB SATA HDD.
I want to get my Final System like this,

40GB IDE -> 40GB Linux

80GB SATA -> (40GBWindows 7 beta) + (40GB Backup to be used in every OS)

160GB SATA -> (80GB Windows XP pro) + (80GB Other stuff to be used in every OS) as the *** PRIMARY OS ***

Please tell me with a bit of explanation on how I can Assign the OS installation and Boot Order things , as I hate to Install OS's again and again,
:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:

P.S:
How should I set the Booting order of the Hard drives in the BIOS ??

Edited by JudeCP, 12 February 2009 - 05:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:55 AM

eeeeh thats a toughy, something ive been trying to do as well, as far as installing them when you boot up the installation cds or dvds they should give you the option of what hard drive and wether you want to break the hard drives down. I would install the windows versions first, and then linux and use the linux grub menu. if you install linux the windows will likely erase the grub menu creating a pain in the rear end. Also, you do realize you have to have a copy of windows vista to upgrade to the 7 beta right? im assuming you do. but why dont you put the 7 beta onto one of the sata drives, seems to me the old IDE standard might bottleneck it to a point. as far as assigning boot order, Im trying to figure that out as well I havent figured the grub menu out totally yet, im booting vista, ubuntu, and kubuntu off of a 500 gig HD and the default is kubuntu, its driving me crazy.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 JudeCP

JudeCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:06 AM

Oh yea, Iv had similar experiences in installing windows after linux 2,

tanx for the reminder ,Yea, I might then swap the two Hards as IDE to Linux and SATA to WIn 7, I installed win 7 right from the beginning, formated the hard and installed, as I dont have a Vista CD!

So i have to install Windows XP first and then Win 7 and finally linux ? So the Grub loader will Right away Give me all the 3 OS in its menus ?

If I just remove a Hard drive(Not the Primary) then will there be a problem ? How am I go through that ?

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:22 AM

last i checked the windows 7 update will not install unless you have vista loaded on there first, unless they released a new version of it or theres a workaround. and yes if you install windows first then linux, in theory the grub menu will show all three automatically, though as to order Im not sure how to change which one is the default loader(the defaulty one is the one where if u dont do anything it loads automatically in time most linux versions are biased against microsoft and put linux first so that if u do nothing it automatically boots into linux, u can change it but im not sure how) however, if you do this and then you remove a hard drive you will mess up the grub menu, instead of booting you will get a error 22 before it loads the grub. this is, however easily fixed with a supergrubboot disk.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 JudeCP

JudeCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:32 AM

I did a clean Install for Windows 7 and It just worked fine for me, Im currently having Win 7 in the IDE(but with less HDD performance),

Change the Grub Order
So do I have to use the Supergrubboot Disk forever if something happens to the HDD ? and If it fix the error forever, will there be a Windows 7 and Windows XP boot menu ??

P.S:
How should I set the Booting order of the Hard drives in the BIOS ??

Edited by JudeCP, 12 February 2009 - 05:35 AM.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:39 AM

as far as the super grub disk fixes it, when you remove the hard drive it basically leaves an option in grub to boot an OS that isnt there, and it confuses it, causing it to give the error 22. supergrubdisk fixes this by booting up with it and erases the empty spot. after that you should be able to boot the computer without the disk (to get the disk just google supergrubbootdisk youll find it) as far as if you were to put the HD back in, I couldn't tell ya I havent tried it ive never taken a windows OS out of it and put it back in. I know if you install another version of linux erase that and put it back in, that GRUB will recognize it, but GRUB was designed by linux and windows hates it, so I dont know. I know you can do it im just not sure how, it may take going into linux and fixing the grub menu via the command prompt but im not sure. and im glad the beta worked for you, i havent tried it since i only have one computer to run it on and I need it to be reliable, i was just told u needed vista.

picard5.jpg

#7 JudeCP

JudeCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:56 AM

Oh, I got the SGD point now, Guess I have to do it and see what happens from removing and plugging back the HDD,
Thanx a lot for the info, I was So worried wether Its ok to use 3 HDD and 3 OSs, and

How should I set the booting order in the BIOS set up?
( What should be the MASTER IDE ? DVDRom or the Linux Drive ? will the Linux drive putting to the slave effect the GRUB thing,)
If you come with another Ideas please post it here as I like to get more Info, for Sure

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:03 AM

Im assuming your talking about boot order, in which case I would actually put CD/DVD as first boot order so if you have boot with say SGA or load a new OS all u gotta do is put the disk in, no messing around with boot menus. as far as master slave, the IDE HD has to be either on slave or cable select, since it is the ony IDE drive in there, you dont have to worry about setting master or slave with sata drives. as far as hard drive booting order, knowing linuxs bias as to putting linux first in grub menu ID put the linux hard drive on first, though Im not really certain as I have never used multiple hard drives with a different OS on each, i havent been able to afford it and my case doesnt have enough room, I boot all mine off one hard drive (I have most of it assigned to windows with 2 small 10 gb partitions, each with a different version of linux on it) and a 4 gb swap file. so, as far as hard disk priority im afraid your going to have to wait until someone one with a little more experience in this field then I to get on and answer it or play around with it yourself. or both, when im stuck with something and post a question im often still fiddling with the problem by the time someone gets on and answers lol.

picard5.jpg

#9 JudeCP

JudeCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:16 AM

Yea Its the boot order :thumbsup: , tanx, Il try it as soon as I get the Drive and tell what happened, Im still confused about Removing the Hard Disks and plugging them back what will happen for each removal ,,,,
:-o

#10 JudeCP

JudeCP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:56 AM

Anyone know what will happen If I Install the OS's Separately to the Hard disks and set them together ?? will it work ?
If so how does the Boot Order works ?

#11 smackdab

smackdab

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:21 PM

Hi JudeCP,

I run 3 OS's (XP, Vista, Windows 7), each on their own hard drive. I purposely want to keep each independant in case I ever want to pull the plug on one (or simply want to redeploy a hard drive).

This is what I do. When I install an OS I disconnect all drives except for the one I am installing to. I get the OS up and running and then I connect the other drives. The OS that is running sees these as just normal drives with data on them.

To select what OS I boot with I use the BIOS Boot Selector function. This means that at the start of the boot I press F8. Doing so brings up the BIOS boot selector and I simply choose the drive I want. I also use this feature if I want to boot from CD since that too is an option. If I don't press F8, I have my computer set up to default into Vista.

When I use this set up the OS will always end up as the C: drive.

Good luck
smackdab

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

You could always use a boot loader like GRUB...to boot.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users