Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tabbed Explorer

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:38 PM

Hey guys, this may sound dumb but is there a replacement for windows explorer (on xp) that uses tabs, much the same way as firefox and the like? or is there some way firefox can be used? I know of a couple eg. free commander and file quest but was after something that was free (hehe) and had a good looking GUI. Cheers.
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 completealias

completealias

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:53 PM

Firefox can be used on xp you can find the download here http://www.mozilla.org/

#3 lucent

lucent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:02 PM

Thanks complete, but i'm already using it. I should have worded my question a bit better i guess, what i meant was was there any way to substitute the standard windows explorer (not Internet Explorer) for a program that does the same job (exploring my file/folder structure) using tabs instead of having multiple windows for different folders. I tend to have two or three explorer windows open at once to save juggling around finding files in the folders frame of the explorer window.......if that makes better sense. Thanks for your reply though :thumbsup:

Edited by lucent, 31 May 2005 - 09:21 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:06 PM

IE 7 will have tabbed browsing capability.

Right now you can find addons which will enable IE (Like Avant - http://www.avantbrowser.com/)

but of course, Firefox is fully compatable with windows.

You must keep IE though because Windows updates and various other necessary sites for your computer will not work with Firefox because they need Active X to work.

Edited by Enthusiast, 31 May 2005 - 08:09 PM.

#5 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:08 PM

Stupid IE. Everyone grab there tourches and pitchforks and head for M$.
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

#6 completealias

completealias

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:10 PM

Sorry lucent I do not know of any windows explorer replacement programs hope you find something that does what you need it for

Good luck

#7 lucent

lucent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:14 PM

:thumbsup: lol, papasmurf. I'll be right beside you!! :flowers:
Posted Image

#8 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:14 PM

Opps I had an inteligent response for this question and got distracted with my last reply. Heres the intelegent one (I hope). What your talking about is intigrating Firefox into windows. As far as I know this is Possible, but how it is done is beyond me. From the ppl Ive talked to on other forums its long and indepth job and should only be tried by the most experienced (or most foolish) of computer users. I've been givin the instructions but have not yet tried to do it (and Ive been around computers my whole life). If you really wish to try it PM me and I will see if I cant find the instructions on my computer. No guarentees. *Warning* If you go through with this I will not be held responsible for any distruction to your computer (This could include inablilty to access any and all files on your computer).
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:33 PM

What do you mean by "integrating" Firefox into Windows?

Just download it, install it and run it.

Make sure you get the security updates they recently released and check out their addons for things like a download manager or spell check that come in handy.

#10 lucent

lucent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:35 PM

Cheers papaSmurf, that would be great. I don't mind trashing my billy box i've got a couple of backup boxes so i'll try it on one of them. Might even do it on this one, gotta love fresh installs i've got way to much junk on this one and it need a good clean up any way. I am the epitome of lazyness hehe.
Oh....Enthusiast by "integrating" i mean using firefox as a file manager, i just didn't know how to correctly word it.

Edited by lucent, 31 May 2005 - 08:38 PM.

Posted Image

#11 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:41 PM

Okay PM me in a couple days. It gonna take me atleast that long to find the instructions.
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory

#12 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:14 PM

if you do find the instructions, maybe you copuld post them as a tutorial, or just another thread on the forum? if it works well i know a ton of people would be grateful.

Posted Image

#13 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:42 PM

I'll probably do that with a GREAT BIG DISCLAMER saying that im not held responsible for any destruction of files, filesystems, or even boxes. Im currently looking right now and have recruted a couple of my friends to help me out. If I do find the instructions I will post them as a tutorial and then post a thread here on where to find them.

Edited by PapaSmurf88, 31 May 2005 - 09:44 PM.

My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory

#14 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 12:02 AM

Sorry to be so late to the thread. Busy day.

In answer to your question, yes, there is a replacement for Windows Explorer. It's out of Australia and no, it isn't free. It's about $65 U.S. It's called Directory Opus 8. Tabbed interface, , different ways of viewing, checkbox interface, customizable, with a wretched manual. You can find it here.

That's probably the best of the lot. There's also Explorer Plus ($39.95) which uses two panes and features file synchronizing fast file-finding, improved menus and so on.
ExplorerPlus

Then there's PowerDesk Pro($49.99) which is quite similar to Explorer Plus and some convenience features.

Power Desk Pro

#15 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:28 AM

I think what you are looking for is explorerxp
its free, and can be downloaded here:
http://www.explorerxp.com/
It also has some other nice features (like tell u the total filesize of a folder, rename multiple files at once, merge and split files, and you can make folder groups...basically like bookmarks).

--sidenote: w0()t 200 posts

Edited by The Trip, 01 June 2005 - 10:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users