Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive failure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 paddymoran

paddymoran

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:21 AM

Hi! This is pretty much exactly what I have already said on Geeks to Go! I just wanted multiple opinions!

Recently, my external hard drive (manufacturer unknown - there is no logo or anything on it) just stopped working. I got Delayed Write Failed messages for a day or so, and then my computer just stopped detecting it. I have trying unplugging it and plugging it back in, and it is detected as an unknown device.

I don't have a driver disc or anything for it. Absolutely everything except Internet Explorer (ick) is on that hard drive, and I have already tried replacing the USB cable. I need that hard drive for my computer to be at all useful. What do I do???

PS - I know this doesn't usually help, but this is a very urgent situation...I am unable to do my schoolwork or anything useful on my computer, and I might just give up hope and get rid of my machine...which is something I really don't want to do. Please help me as quickly as possible. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:29 AM

first problem it could be is with the case, You could try loading up Ubuntu Linux and reading it that way but there may be an easier way to do it. inside that enclosure there is a regular hard drive just like the ones inside your computer typically. some use the smaller HDs used in laptops, and I cant speak for certain that yours isnt but most arnt. Id take it apart, and if its and IDE drive and u have IDE cables in your computer, assign it as slave (you might have to find a jumper some dont come with them) and put it in your computer and access the drive that way, if its sata and you have sata inside your computer you just have to have the sata cable to plug it in. now, the other problem could be that its the hard drive itself and not the enclosure-this is the worst case scenario and my guess probably is your problem, its the hard drive-a bad header or something along those lines. then again, Linux may be able to get your files off of it-if the hard drive is broken, chances are youll never get use of it again, but linux sometimes can rescue files from a bad hard drive. that is what Id try, id do an ubuntu live DVD, its a fast download, you can boot up off your DVD drive, no need to install, and its user friendly.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:27 AM

Can you hear the drive spin up?

Can you see it in My Computer?

Disk Management?

Device Manager?

Have you tried plugging it into another computer?

In Device Manager right click on the icon of the monitor at the top of the column and then click on Scan for hardware changes.

As suggested, installing it in your computer as a slave drive is an option. If you do, set the jumper on the back of the hdd as a slave drive, the IDE data cable has two connectors, the end one is the Master, and the middle one is the slave.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users