Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do you think I need these?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Richard ken

Richard ken

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:47 AM

When I was looking through my computer I always see these things and think that they might not be important(the red outline, blue outline I think they are important) The one that says update both lead to the same websites and thinking I could just delete one of them and keep the other but I don't know can I just delete it. The top red outline, I was thinking that I never used the American Online so why keep and the Netscape no one have been using that since 1997 so why should I keep it but I am not sure is it also OK to deleted it off the spot so I am asking help from people to explain me the situation either I can't delete them because of some problem or they are useful without me noticing?
Here is the picture: http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/d...Programcopy.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:42 AM

Windows updates was the initial update site, with searched for critical updates only for windows.
Office critical updates would have to be searched for seperately. Windows updates was listed back when the two were seperate.
Microsoft eventually came up with Microsoft updates, which you could opt in to. After opt in, Windows update would lead to the Microsoft update page.

Microsoft Updates showed up in your list after you opted in, and consolidates the two-it will look for updates to both of them at the same time.
You can safely delete the entry for Windows, since they both lead to the same place.

Unless you plan on installing Netscape Internet that one can be deleted. America Online can also be deleted if you never used it or installed it. Pre-loaded computers come with a lot of crap, and some of it are links you can use to sign up with different internet service providers. Most people already have a service provider and don't want any of the ones that are being hawked through the preinstalled junk.

Windows Catalog lead to Microsoft Store. If you aren't interested in that site, delete it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 February 2009 - 03:03 AM.

#3 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

Thank you for your opinion on my situation, Thank you Queen-Evie

#4 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:31 PM

Windows updates was the initial update site, with searched for critical updates only for windows.
Office critical updates would have to be searched for seperately. Windows updates was listed back when the two were seperate.
Microsoft eventually came up with Microsoft updates, which you could opt in to. After opt in, Windows update would lead to the Microsoft update page.

Microsoft Updates showed up in your list after you opted in, and consolidates the two-it will look for updates to both of them at the same time.
You can safely delete the entry for Windows, since they both lead to the same place.

What do you mean by opt and can you tell me when did both microsoft and window started to lead to the same page?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:14 PM

Once upon a time there was Windows updates. As I stated above, to get Office updates you had to do them seperately.
Then one day, someone at Microsoft had a light bulb moment: Why don't we combine Windows and Office updates? We can call it Microsoft updates.
Shortly after someone decided that was the best idea since sliced bread, if you clicked to go to Windows updates, you were asked if you wanted to use Microsoft updates instead. Then whatever you needed for Microsoft updates would be installed on your computer.
It's been a few years since MS updates was rolled out, so it's possible that plain old Windows updates doesn't exist anymore. I have no clue when they both started leading to the same page.
Opt in refers to the early days of MS updates. I recall thinking what a great idea-no more having to go through a convoluted process to get Office updates. One site does it all.

#6 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

Oh ok thank you Queen-Evie for the story thank you very much

#7 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:57 PM

America Online can also be deleted if you never used it or installed it. Pre-loaded computers come with a lot of crap, and some of it are links you can use to sign up with different internet service providers. Most people already have a service provider and don't want any of the ones that are being hawked through the preinstalled junk.

Also one more thing the America Online was it use back then for aim?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users