Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Drive won't play DVDs!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 xXSelina

xXSelina

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:44 AM

Hi,

I was recently burning a couple of files through Nero, but wanted to cancel it. So, I pressed Cancel, but then my laptop froze. So, I had to close it using Ctrl + Alt + Del to force it to close since it wasn't responding for a long time. It ultimately closed the program, but when I tried running the DVD again after that, it couldn't. I tried a CD with songs on it and it worked, but not the DVD or any other DVDs for that matter. I hear the disc spinning inside the disc drive, but nothing pops up or runs. I've also tried the same DVD disc on my friend's computer and it worked on his, so that's why I'm guessing it's a disc drive problem and not the actual disc itself.

If you have any idea how I can fix it or suggest something that might help, please feel free! I'm open to anything.

Thanks so much in advance!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:08 AM

my guess is the DVD lens is broke or messed up. You could try running one of those computer cd/dvd cleaners in it, that may fix it but my guess is (its only a guess, I dont know enough about ur system or its settings to be sure) but my guess is u need a new drive.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:10 AM

Try uninstalling the drive in the Device Manager and then reboot. The installation wizard will recognize it as new hardware and will install new drivers for it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 xXSelina

xXSelina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:56 AM

Hey,

I tried uninstalling the drivers and rebooting the computer but it still doesn't work. I don't get how the hardware would get messed up from just cancelling Nero from burning though, so I THINK its the software involved somehow... Any other ideas?

Thanks!

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:12 AM

try uninstalling and reinstalling nero and your dvd playing software. also, did you try running the disk cleaner through it?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 xXSelina

xXSelina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:19 PM

Hi,

Well I ended up deleting and uninstalling nero because I thought that was the problem but it wasn't the reason either. When I put in a DVD my laptop starts whirring as if it wants to load, but then it stops and makes weird clicking noises. Also, what is the disk cleaner you are talking about?

Thanks

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

just go down to walmart or other computer store, and find the cdrs/dvdrs, in that section you should fine one labled DVD lens cleaner or something similar. it is a DVD designed to do one thing, clean the lens of the DVD drive. usually costs between 5-15 dollars.

picard5.jpg

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:36 AM

Unless you are a heavy smoker or have some other source of contamination similar to that I wouldn't think that one of the "disk cleaners" is going to do you much good. I would see if I could find another computer to install this drive in and try it there, if it fails in another computer I would write it off.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 xXSelina

xXSelina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:51 AM

Hmm that is weird though. How would it play CD's then. Doesn't that mean that the DVD drive should work since it is a DVD/CD player?

Thanks for any help!

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:00 AM

If it will play CDs but not DVDs it may be the DVD's laser is not working, there are two different laser in combo drives that operate at two different frequencies.

#11 xXSelina

xXSelina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:09 AM

Oh I see... so everyone thinks it is a hardware problem and not a software problem then? How much does it cost to replace a DVD/CD drive for laptops?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users