Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C2000021A Fatal System Error after using Combo Fix

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dabluesguy

dabluesguy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:42 AM

Hi,

I had already posted this, but in the wrong forum.

I am receiving a C000021A Fatal System Error and cannot log onto XP/SP2. I was using Combo Fix as a last step in finding Malware. I had everything working fine, but wanted to make sure that I had gotten rid of it all. I should have quit while I was ahead. Combo Fix went through all of its stages and then said it was going to reboot. After rebooting I received the error. I have tried just about everything I can think of. Safe Mode does not work. I was wondering if someone knew what Combo Fix might have changed in that I may be able to fix it using the recovery console. Also, I can access my Windows files via Ubuntu. I am trying to avoid the inevitable reformat reinstall. I have Dell OEM version of Windows with SP1 therefore I cannot do a repair install

I have since found a thread stating to use this in recovery console to recover last backed up registry.
cd erdnt\hiv-backup
batch erdnt.con.
I tried it, and files copied but it did not work. Anything else I could try? TIA

Edited by dabluesguy, 12 February 2009 - 05:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

Have you tried running chkdsk from the Recovery Console?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users