Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search for my site in others?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tim_ver

tim_ver

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:29 AM

I am not sure if this is the correct spot but I thought that it maybe. I heard there is a way you can search the entire internet for text/images that you have on your website, to see if other websites on the internet are using them. And if it finds any website with the same verbiage or images it lets you know.

Is this true? How do you do this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

Hi tim.
If you mean to ask if there is some sort of bot or spider you can install on your own system to search the entire internet for images and text matching your site, I haven't heard of any program that does that. In any case I would think it would take years for it to complete on a single home pc. On the other hand, search engines do it everyday. You only need use something like google image search as an example. You will always find dups. Changing the image dimensions, file size, file name, file type, etc ,will bring up the same image on different sites if there is a common description identified via it's content filter.

#3 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

The most common tool I hear about is copyscape.com. You enter the URL of your page, and it searches its index for duplicates. In some cases, especially if there is a unique phrase or unusual wording in a document, you can simply enter that in Google. For instance, if I am moderating a forum I will check suspicious posts to see if they have been copied from other forums by finding unusual phrasing and entering those unusual phrases into Google, in quotes.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users