Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Not recognizing my DVD Rom and CD Rom

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_op

Mr_op

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:00 AM

Hi

My PC is not recognizing my CD Rom or DVD Rom. I have already tried the removing the filter thing in the registry files but still the same issue. Both the DVD rom and CD rom both have power as far as opening and closing but that's about it. I dont see the "letters" that used to appear when i double clicked the "my computer " icon. I believe they were (D:) and (E:). I also don't see them in device manager. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:41 AM

Have you checked the data cable connection or a different cable?

What are the makes and models of the drives?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Mr_op

Mr_op
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:40 AM

Thank you DC3 for replying. I opened up the PC last night and checked the cables and adaptors for both drives and everything seemed all right. Not sure what make the drives are though ( didn't see anything in the front) I'll check again tonight. My pc is a Gateway 710XL if that helps. i failed to mention in my first post that i am getting the "blue screen of death" also, everytime i shut my PC down.

#4 Mr_op

Mr_op
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

Hi, Any idea's?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

What is the error message you get with the blue screen?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Mr_op

Mr_op
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

The error message is as follows:

***Stop: Ox0000007E (Oxc0000005, OxF7D1551D, Oxf7BE6C20, OxF7BE691C)

***FS_REC.SYS_ ADDRESS F7D1551D base At F7D15000, Datestamp 3b7d8361

Hope this helps - Thanx

#7 Mr_op

Mr_op
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:15 PM

I also found the following errors in "event viewer":

Application section - ( warning) "RAID0 Volume "RAID_Volume1" is in a Nonredundant, Failed Disks state"

System section - (error) Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 f7d1551d, parameter3 f7be6c20, parameter4 f7be691c.

#8 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

Hi, I found a reference to the same issue you are having, it relates to IN cd, do you have it installed on your PC? When did this issue start happening?
I also found another reference to Nero.
MCP
MSDST

#9 Mr_op

Mr_op
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:32 PM

HI

I found INCD File system service running on my PC....not sure what it is. I had Nero but i uninstalled it based on research i did on the net trying to resolve the problem i am having ( didnt work though ).

by the way, I disconnected the cables and connectors to both drives to see what would happen and then rebooted. I then got an error saying "The CD/DVD drive was not found". hope this helps in some way.

Edited by Mr_op, 14 February 2009 - 05:14 PM.

#10 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:29 PM

Hi, uninstalll INCD. Then shut down the PC and reboot. Try this a couple of times then finally shut it down again put the cables back on to one of the dvd rom drives and restart see if all is working okay, then do the same again for the other cd rom drive. Hopefully this will fix the issue.
MCP
MSDST

#11 Mr_op

Mr_op
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:01 PM

I tried but still not showing the drives. On one of the attempts i connected the cables and connectors to the CD drive while the PC was on and nothing happened but when i connected the DVD cables cables the PC shut off immediatly? Not sure if that should have happened or shouldn't have. Either way, i still have the problem.

#12 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

Hi, I would not have connected the cables while the PC was running. DVD roms a fairly cheap I would buy I new one and try it at worst you will have a spare.
MCP
MSDST

#13 Mr_op

Mr_op
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

i disconnected the DVD drive only and rebooted. now i can see the CD-drive. Does this mean the DVD drive is bad or can it be something else? By the way, thanks for your time Monty007.

Edited by Mr_op, 15 February 2009 - 11:39 PM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:58 AM

Are these drives connected via IDE or SATA data cable? If they are IDE how do you have the jumpers set, Master and Slave? Do you have the drives in the proper location on the IDE cable? The end connector is for the Master, the middle is for the Slave.

Some SATA drives are hot swapable, but as a general rule you shouldn't plug or unplug any device while the power is on. Not only is there the possibility of damage your computer, there are potentials inside the computer that with the right circumstances could injure you as well.

#15 Mr_op

Mr_op
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:47 AM

Definetly wont be unplugging anything anymore while the PC is on. As for your question, starting from the motherboard, the flat data cable goes to the CD drive first and ends at the DVD/ burner drive. This is the way it came from the factory. My CD drive works now that i have unplugged the DVD drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users