Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C2000021A Fatal System Error After Using Combo Fix

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dabluesguy

dabluesguy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

Hi,

I am receiving a C000021A Fatal System Error and cannot log onto XP/SP2. I was using Combo Fix as a last step in finding Malware. I had everything working fine, but wanted to make sure that I had gotten rid of it all. I should have quit while I was ahead. Combo Fix went through all of its stages and then said it was going to reboot. After rebooting I received the error. I have tried just about everything I can think of. Safe Mode does not work. I was wondering if someone knew what Combo Fix might have changed in that I may be able to fix it using the recovery console. Also, I can access my Windows files via Ubuntu. I am trying to avoid the inevitable reformat reinstall. I have Dell OEM version of Windows with SP1 therefore I cannot do a repair install TIA

Note: I reposted in the HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum. I should have posted there in the first place. Sorry.

Edited by dabluesguy, 12 February 2009 - 05:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:55 AM

For the benefit of other readers I'm going to point out that Combofix is a powerful tool that the author didn't intend the public use, it is intended to only be used under the guidance of a person trained in its use. Improper use of this tool can render your computer inoperable.

If SP2 was added after you purchased this computer you may be able to go to Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel. When you open the Add or Remove place a check mark in the box titled Show Upgrades at the top of the page. After this you should be able to use the installation disk to run a repair installation. If you are able to do this you should immediately add all the XP updates.

Edited by dc3, 12 February 2009 - 02:38 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dabluesguy

dabluesguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:18 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I cannot log on therefore I cannot get to the control panel. When I was able to log on, I tried to remove SP2 but Windows would not allow it. Also I found a way to back up the registry in another thread using the recovery console. cd erdnt\hiv-backup then running batch erdnt.con. All files copied but still getting same error.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:50 AM

There is a work around for using the SP1 CD to do the repair, slipstream the SP2 with the installation CD. You can read about this here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dabluesguy

dabluesguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:57 AM

Thanks for the reply and link. I still would like to be able to find a solution using recovery console. I don't have another PC to make the slipstream disk. I guess if worse comes to worse I will need to find one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users