Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot from Windows disk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 psr

psr

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

Hello, I've got an HP dv6000 laptop with Windows XP. I got a Trojan virus in the system32/userinit.exe, and my antivirus wnet and automatically deleted the file before I could do anything and then restarted. I can't log on to my laptop at all, not even in safe mode. I lost my Windows disk that I got when I bought the laptop, so I went to the microsoft site, downloaded the SP3 iso file and mounted it onto a bootable DVD. But I can't get my computer to boot from the DVD, even though I put the disk drive first in boot order. The screen comes up, and it says press [esc] to change boot order comes up, then it shifts to a black screen with a flashing command line (that I can't type anything in), then it says briefly 'Caldera DR-DOS' and goes back to the first screen. It goes in a cycle, and I've tried changing to boot order again, pressing keys but I just can't get it to boot from the disk.

Any suggestions? I've tried multiple CDs and DVDs, but nothing works.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Assuming that the SP3 update...can counteract whatever is amiss...is not necessarily true.

SP3 is designed to be a security update, not a repair tool or device. Whatever defects a system has before it is installed...are likely to continue, if they have no root in the XP install itself.

So even though you say that you attempted booting from a Windows disk...that is an incorrect interpretation, since Windows means XP, in your case.

I don't know much about laptops, so the best advice I can suggest is that you review the repair procedures available to you courtesy of HP...and try those (since you do not have an XP install CD).

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=1842155

One alternative would be to borrow or burn a copy of an XP install CD...and then attempt to use that to repair your HP system via the Recovery Console.

One alternative would be to download an .iso file containing the Recovery Console...burn that to bootable CD...and then use that to attempt repairs.

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

The issue of malware will probably remain unresolved by any of these actions and will need to be addressed if/once the system boots.

Louis

#3 psr

psr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

I tried both of the iso files you linked to, Louis, but my laptop simply won't boot from the disk. The drive works perfectly, but the computer just gives me a command prompt I can't type anything into and shuts down again. Should I try a floppy disk?

Also, I tried the HP solutions. The hard drive isn't damaged, none of those have any effect. ):

Edited by psr, 12 February 2009 - 04:22 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

You probably made the same mistake I did when dealing with an .iso file :thumbsup:.

You cannot just burn the .iso files onto a CD and expect them to run...they need to be converted into bootable CDs, using a program that is designed to burn .iso files into such.

I use Active@ ISO Burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm to burn the .iso file into a bootable CD.

After burning the bootable CD, be sure to change your boot options in the BIOS so that the optical drive is the first boot option.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users