Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems compiling first Windows application

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BobLewiston

BobLewiston

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:33 PM

I tried to compile a Windows Forms Application in Visual C# 2008 Express with this source code from the CSharpSchool tutorial at Programmer's Heaven:
using System;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using System.Drawing;
namespace CSharpSchool
{
	class HelloWinForm
	{
		static void Main ()
		{
			Application.Run (new MyWindow ());
		}
	}
	class MyWindow : Form
	{
		public MyWindow () : base ()
		{
			this.Text = "My First Windows Application";
			this.Size = new Size (300, 300);
			Label lblGreeting = new Label ();
			lblGreeting.Text = "Hello WinForm";
			lblGreeting.Location = new Point (100, 100);
			this.Controls.Add (lblGreeting);
		}
	}
}
but I got these errors:

Error 1 Program 'C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Projects\HelloWinForm\obj\Release\HelloWinForm.exe' has more than one entry point defined: 'HelloWinForm.Test.Main()'. Compile with /main to specify the type that contains the entry point. C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Projects\HelloWinForm\Form1.cs 8 21 HelloWinForm

Error 2 Program 'C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Projects\HelloWinForm\obj\Release\HelloWinForm.exe' has more than one entry point defined: 'HelloWinForm.Program.Main()'. Compile with /main to specify the type that contains the entry point. C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Projects\HelloWinForm\Program.cs 14 21 HelloWinForm

Error 3 'HelloWinForm.Form1.Dispose(bool)': no suitable method found to override C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Projects\HelloWinForm\Form1.Designer.cs 14 33 HelloWinForm

Feeding this into a search engine:

"visual c#" "Compile with /main"

yielded this link:

Compiler Error CS0017
Visual C# Reference: Errors and Warnings. Compiler Error CS0017 ... Compile with /main to specify the type that contains the entry point. ...
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/t9k01y87.aspx

which said:

If you are using MS Visual Studio and do not want to delete the other Main() methods you can specify the class which you want as you Entry Point in Startup Object in the Project Properties under Application Tab (at least for VS2008 Express)

Going to:

Project | HelloWinForm Properties | Application | Startup Object

I discovered it wasn't set. Setting it to either HelloWinForm.Test or HelloWinForm.Program, the first two problems disappear, but not the third. I can't see how this code has more than one entry point, and I'm not at all clear on why the compiler requires these gyrations in Startup Object. None of these issues are mentioned by CSharpSchool, which claims the code I used will run as written. This is my first Windows app, and WOW! am I in the dark on this. What gives? Maybe I should just get a different tutorial. Any explanations of this or, failing that, any suggestions for which tutorial(s) I should use?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:06 PM

The code you have listed here is written for you by the windows forms designer, and needs only be there if you aren't using the windows forms designer.

The compiler is complaining because it doesn't know which starting function to call -- your main() or the function inside the form.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

The code compiles without any problem using Visual Studio 2005. I used command line compiler "csc hello.cs" where "hello.cs" is the source code file. Maybe the express edition is causing the problem.

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

He's not compiling with the command line. The forms designer has a main() and you declared a main(). The compiler doesn't know which main() to call.

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 19 February 2009 - 05:20 PM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users