Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell 1705

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joepdx

joepdx

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:46 PM

I have a dell 1705 with the Nvidia GoGeo 7900gs. First my battery died, then the power cord stopped working. I began using the system with a 65w cord and in short order the graphics card died. It has been widely reported that the 7900gs is a faulty card but dell is not acknowledging this. Of course my system is over a year old and out of warranty.

I contacted Dell and was able to purchase an out of warranty repair. I paid 350.00 and was told I would be refunded 150 as long as the problem was not the screen. So they charged my C.C. 350.00 and I shipped the laptop back in a prepaid fed ex ground box they provided. I was not happy with this arrangement but figured there was nothing else I could do.

10 days later I get the laptop back with a note stating the graphic card was not available and they were unable to repair the laptop. I re-contacted them and they said that they would refund my 350.00 and I would be out of luck or I could pay and additional 150.00 and they would send me a new comprable system.

So bascially I paid 500.00 and I am getting a new system. I feel like got screwed but I would not be able to go out and buy a comprable system for 500.00 If anyone else has had a problem with this system this may be an option.

Here is my main question. I still have the broken laptop. The Nvidia card was an upgrade and the system could be configured with Intel integrated graphics. If I remove the Nvidia card will the system recognize some sort of graphics integrated in the mother board? Any other ideas? I guess I could part it out and sell it piece by piece on ebay.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:30 AM

wow thats really odd for a laptop to have a dedicated graphics card. if it has an integrated card as well it should in theory be able to work with that as well, but being a laptop i suspect you have to go in and manually switch it. ive heard the 7900 was a good card from invidia, but being dedicated in a laptop case it probably overheats in a hurry. unfortunatly, the 7900 is an older card, and for 5-600 you can probably pick up a new laptop from wally world that would match it in performance, of if you went for a custom built desktop you could easily build a new system for 500 that would smoke your old laptop. justs some options to throw out there.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:40 AM

When you installed the graphics card did you have to enable it in the BIOS? If you didn't then all you should need to do is remove the graphics card. If you did have to enable it in the BIOS then you will have to enable the integrated graphic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 joepdx

joepdx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:02 PM

Thank you for your replies. I personally did not upgrade the computer with the Nvidia Chip. When I was having it built by Dell you had 3 options for graphics.

Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950
256MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 Hypermemory
256MB Nvidia GeForce Go 7900gs

I opted for the Nvidia. I was unsure whether the Intel Integrated Graphic Media Accelerator 950 was built into the Mother Board and was being overridden by the Nvidia being installed. I was thinking it may be something like a mother board with a sound card built in yet you would be able to add a higher end card. I was checking out the specs of the Intel Accelerator 950 and it mentions it has a PCI Express X16 port available allowing upgrades to higher performace graphic cards.

I guess one way to find out if it will work is to go into the computer and take the Nvidia card out and see if the system will boot up. Any other info would be appreciated.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

most often in laptops the video card is integrated into the motherboard, a dedicated video card just plain takes up a lot of room which most laptop cases dont have (alienware aside) so my guess is you only have the nvidia card.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 joepdx

joepdx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

thanks for all the feedback. I made a call to a dell reseller and was able to find out that there are 2 mother boards for the E1705. One has the Intel Integrated Graphics chip on it and the other (which I have in my system) requires the ati 1400x OR an Nvidia 7900gs. I was told there were a few other Nvidia chips available that would fit it as well. So I will be unable to just remove the bad Nvidia chip and have the system work. I now have a couple options.

1. I can shell out approximately 275.00 which is the average cost for a replacement video card online or on ebay, as they are not available from dell, and hope it works when I install it. I am hesitant to do this because I was never able to get a definitive answer from dell whether the problem was the chip or the mother board or both?

2. I can remove my current mother board and replace it with the MB with the integrated chip. This would be about 215.00. I should then be able to sell my mother board and potentially recoup some of the cost.

3. Part the laptop out and sell it in pieces on ebay.

4. This is a longshot. I am going see if I can find someone who bought the 1705 with the integrated video who is not satisfied with its performance and see if they would be willing to trade mother boards with me. They would still have to buy a new Graphic Card but they would save the 200+ for the cost of the motherboard.

Edited by joepdx, 12 February 2009 - 04:17 PM.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:42 PM

you sure the graphics card is integrated, 95% of all laptops, regardless of who made the video card chipset, have the video integrated into the motherboard. that 7900 is most likely just talking about the chipset and is integrated into the motherbard, so if the graphics bad by definition, the motherboards bad. if it is an dedicated card which is unlikely, you could just swap the card out provided you find one that fits in there, they have to be custom made to do it.

picard5.jpg

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:52 AM

the_patriot09... I suggest that you read this.

Edited by dc3, 13 February 2009 - 02:14 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:03 AM

what do you know it does have a dedicated card, I couldnt find anything on it thanks dc3, I couldnt find the info and he didnt say I was just going on the assumption that most laptops dont have it (I said most not all were integrated) in which case if theres an integrated card I would assume theres an option in the bios to disable the dedicated card. :D

picard5.jpg

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:08 AM

"I have a dell 1705 with the Nvidia GoGeo 7900gs. First my battery died, then the power cord stopped working. I began using the system with a 65w cord and in short order the graphics card died. It has been widely reported that the 7900gs is a faulty card but dell is not acknowledging this."

If just the video card had quite working I would agree that the video card is probably bad.
From what you've said I would lean more towards the motherboard being bad.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users