Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I back-up files?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blubeard

blubeard

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:34 PM

I noticed the antivirusxppro2009 when i recieved the lame pop up on January 31, 2009. Since then my System Restore isn't working, I've got hundreds maybe thousands of vulnerabilities, and I've been researching like a mad scientist! The operating system is XP pro.

Here's what I need help with; I'd like to back-up some personal files before I do anything. I've never done this before.

I tried going into START>All Programs>System Tools> Backup ( I followed directions on the Microsoft site). The Backup or Restore Wizard moves me through a series of choices until I get to 'Choose a Place' . I select D://. Then 'Type in a Name' (for the file). I do this. A window titled backup utility appears. It has a yellow caution icon. It says "The back-up file could not be used" ..Then it lists the name i just chose.."Please ensure it is a valid path, and that you have sufficient access."...I assume it has to do with access?

I looked at Microsoft's Help website and how to Manually back-up. Sounds easy. Find the file. Copy it. Goto My Computer>right click CD Drive (D:)>select paste. When I try this there is no paste option after 'right clicking'.

Upon further research I discover that I have a disc! I insert it and follow the Microsoft webhelp page. I select Perform Additional Tasks>Browse the CD>Value Add>MSFT. Now it tells me to select Ntbackup.msi. The options I have in the MSFT folder are;Fonts , MGMT, Net and USMT (all folders). But no Ntbackup.msi.

I've come to the end of a rope in terms of my ability to understand or troubleshoot so I would appreciate any help. Thanks! After I ensure the protection of my files I'll try to tackle the virus.

P.S. This is my first post ever! of any sort!

Edited by garmanma, 11 February 2009 - 06:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

Have you tried backing up to a USB drive or external hard disk?

#3 blubeard

blubeard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:11 PM

Hi .. Well I think I'm trying to save my files to disk. Yes to a disk! Is that what you mean?

#4 Gstick

Gstick

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:01 PM

I think what he means is just copying your files to another disk or USB drive. That's what I usually do.

"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."

#5 blubeard

blubeard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

Right! and apologies for sounding (being) rude. I have tried to backup the files to a disk. That's where i run into trouble. But as I tried to describe in the original post, I can't seem to get it done.
I followed the instructions on the Microsoft webhelp page, but I'm either doing it wrong or the virus has blocked my ability to do it.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:02 AM

If you are using the native XP backup utility, it cannot backup directly to removable disk...it can only do direct backups to tape disks. This is one of the reasons why many do not bother with it.

http://www.winxptutor.com/ntbackup.htm

You can back up to a different partition on a hard drive...and then save those files to CD/DVD, as you would burn anything else to CD/DVD.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/backup_using_wizard.htm

Louis

#7 Luser

Luser

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:17 AM

First off what type of files are you trying to backup?

Documents? configuration files? music? what?

If its just a bunch of files go buy a 2G USB memory stick (there pretty cheap) then plug it into one of your computers USB ports and then open "windows Explorer" press windows-key + E to open it the fast way.
And just drag and drop your files files onto the USB memory disk (should be showed as a new drive in windows Explorer".

After doing that i recommend just doing a full wipe of your harddrive to get it all clean and dandy then do a new install.

!!another tip is to also befor you transfer your files from the usb to the newly installed computer that you have a good solid antivirus installed if any of the files could be infected!!
Dont want to have problems with your computer?
Solution : install a good free anti virus, anti spyware & and stay away from misleading applications. Update your OS and vital programs as often as you can, to shut down those open security holes.
Stay away from shareware and trailware applications, avoid installing browser addins and toolbars. Read up on things before trying new applications.

Learn more about : Viruses, malmware & trojans | Need a bootdisk? | Want to know what that EventID mean? | Cybercrimes what is that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users