Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows has closed a programme to help protect computer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lindamc

Lindamc

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:52 PM

Hi guys.

I hope I have posted this in correct place, but wasn't sure where to put it.

While starting up my computer I received the following message

To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this programme

Name: Registry Editor

Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

The error report contents were as follows

C:\DOCUM~1\LINDAM~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\WER.2323.dir00\regedit.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUM~1\LINDAM~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\WER.2323.dir00\appcompat.txt

Are you able to advise what this is or why it appeared. I haven't been touching the registry files (I wouldnt know how to). I previously had a problem recently which was sorted thanks to you guys on here. Not related I dont think.

Please help and let me know that my computer is safe.

Many thanks

Linda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

I'm going to move this over to the Am I Infected forum because you weren't using Registry Editor when this message occurred.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Lindamc

Lindamc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:11 PM

Thank you.
Linda

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

Hello are you having any popup ads or pages being redirected to a different page? We may need to run SFC Scannow but first check for malware.
Is this an XP PC? What is your installed Antivirus and spyware tools?

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Lindamc

Lindamc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:20 PM

Hi boopme.

Thanks for your reply and taking the time to help.

To answer your questions first of all, No I am not being redirected to different pages or getting pop ups, nothing like that, and Yes its Windows XP I use, sorry should have mentioned this before.

I run with Norton Anti Virus, and I have Ad Aware, Spyware Doctor. From the last help I had on this site, I also have Malwarebytes, ATF Cleaner and HijackThis. ATF cleaner and Malware bytes I have kept on my machine and run once a week as per Teacup. I also previously had AVAST but was advised to delete one of my Anti Virus as having two doesnt help - so I choose to delete AVAST.

I have followed your instructions and ran ATF cleaner in start up mode which freed up some memory.

I have also downloaded Super however have not proceeded to run this as your instructions state to make sure the 'C' drive is checked on left hand side, but I cant see this anywhere on left had side. Can you help me further before I proceed to scan.

I was previously having problems which Garmanma and Teacup fixed for me and also helped me with freeing up some memory on my computer as it was running slow but then I received the message I added in this topic.

I will wait to hear from you before I run anything further.

Many thanks
Linda

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

Hi Linda, Good to hear from you again,unfortunately your back with more.perhaps, malware issues. OK the C drive is referring to the drive that windows was installed to or the root (main)drive. The same drive you had installd HJT nd MBam to. Hope that cleared that up for you. By the way you can dump the HJT app you have as it is outdated and not something to run on your own. Should it be needed we will give you the latest to use.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Lindamc

Lindamc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

Hi Boopbe, thanks for your reply and Im sorry if I am being really thick here. The quote above that you posted says to make sure I check the the C: drive before I peform the scan. Does this mean there should be a box I should tick when I go into SUPER?, as there doesn't seem to be a box to tick. Do I need to go into a tab on SUPER to tick this box?

Hope Im making sense. I'm very basic on the computer but I know enough to get by so any help you give me is appreciated.

Thanks
Linda

P.S. Sorry just thought, should I click on the tab 'Scan your computer' first. Is there where I will see the box to check?

Edited by Lindamc, 18 February 2009 - 03:47 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

Yes that is it click scan then you wiil see the box(es)

#9 Lindamc

Lindamc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hi Boopme,

I have done what you requested and ran SUPER through safe mode (I didn't know whether to go into Administrator or my own user - but went into own user - hope this was right). Unfortunately due to the vast amount of songs we hold on our computer I had to terminate the scan before it finished as I didnt want to leave my computer on all night (up for work early). A list of what it brought up is detailed below. If you want I can run again at the weekend and then it can take as long as it needs. The results are detailed below.

Many thanks
Linda

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 02/18/2009 at 11:21 PM

Application Version : 4.25.1012

Core Rules Database Version : 3763
Trace Rules Database Version: 1724

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 02:19:26

Memory items scanned : 291
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 5891
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 14580
File threats detected : 18

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Linda McIlwain\Cookies\linda_mcilwain@tacoda[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Linda McIlwain\Cookies\linda_mcilwain@ads.aol.co[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Linda McIlwain\Cookies\linda_mcilwain@advertising[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Linda McIlwain\Cookies\linda_mcilwain@ad1.king[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Linda McIlwain\Cookies\linda_mcilwain@adtech[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Linda McIlwain\Cookies\linda_mcilwain@statse.webtrendslive[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Linda McIlwain\Cookies\linda_mcilwain@revsci[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Linda McIlwain\Cookies\linda_mcilwain@media.adrevolver[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Linda McIlwain\Cookies\linda_mcilwain@aoluk.122.2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Linda McIlwain\Cookies\linda_mcilwain@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Linda McIlwain\Cookies\linda_mcilwain@uk.at.atwola[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Linda McIlwain\Cookies\linda_mcilwain@atwola[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Iain MacLugash\Cookies\iain__maclugash@ads.aol.co[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Iain MacLugash\Cookies\iain__maclugash@aoluk.122.2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Iain MacLugash\Cookies\iain__maclugash@at.atwola[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Iain MacLugash\Cookies\iain__maclugash@atwola[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Iain MacLugash\Cookies\iain__maclugash@tacoda[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Iain MacLugash\Cookies\iain__maclugash@uk.at.atwola[1].txt

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

Hi Linda, I feel this is no longer an issue of malware at fault. I think you will need to run SFC /scannow . This will probably require you to have your XP Cd handy.
You should start another topic in the XP foum on this and any questiond on using SFC /scannow.
Here is our Tutorial on i. How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

#11 Lindamc

Lindamc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:31 PM

Hi Boopme

Thanks for your help.

Apart from the initial message I got, my system seems to be running fine - should I still use the SCANNOW?

If so I will use the forum and links you provided. They seem a bit daunting to be honest, as I hate messing about in things I dont know when it comes to my computer. Folk say that your registry files are what keeps your system working so I suppose if they are corrupt they should be fixed.

Also, I do not have a XP CD, I never got this when I bought the machine. Because of this, one of the updates I cant do is to update to XP Service pack 3.

Let me know what you think.

Once again, many thanks with your help on this.
Linda

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

If you do not have that CD don;t run it as it probably will ask for it. Ask in the XP forum about how youcan fix this please. Only follow the guidance of the advisors or Mods there on this. As you are correct about it being the heart of the machine and it will need to be done properly.

#13 Lindamc

Lindamc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

OK, will post in relevant formum.

Thanks for all your help
Linda

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:50 PM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users