Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Detecting Usb virus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ModePulled

ModePulled

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

I recently had to reinstall windows due to a severe infection. I was unable to determine the viruses involved.

The problem is that i have a jump drive that I keep alot of file for school on. Before the infection killed my computer i had it plugged in. I have tried searching the forums to get a tool that would look for infectants on USB drives but was unable to find any. I have used MBAM to search it and it came up with nothing. I there anything I can do? Reobtaining 800mb of pdfs is not possible given my time constraints so I need something to check this drive before i put it back iinto my freshly reinstalled computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

I would start with sub's flash disinfector, I use it on every drive I come accross

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Next scan the drive with an updated good antivirus like avira or whatever one you use, then a good online one

MBAM was never intended to find infected installers

I am checking to see which online scanner will allow a selective scan of only an external drive

Edited by DaChew, 11 February 2009 - 05:39 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:57 PM

While you're at Flash_Disinfector, and if DaChew is okay with me asking...

Have you used that USB drive in other places while it was still infected?

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#4 ModePulled

ModePulled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:37 PM

Only recently on computers at school with safedisk or whatever the program is that erases all changes to the hard drive at each restart. Not on any of the home computers(recently). If the infection lingered longer than i think it did then yes.

#5 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:42 PM

Hi
I thought I whould pass on a slight warning about holding down the shift key.
I started doing this with flash drives when I read that holding down shift would prevent auto run. Unfortunately the first time I wasn’t sure how long to hold it down. It appears, at least on my Dell with XP home edition, SP2 that holding down shift for over 8 seconds brings up a box advising that you are turning on some strange keyboard command. I tried to cancel the command but the cancel command would not work. As soon as I clicked on one desktop icon it caused all to highlight. I could not get them to un – highlight until I unplugged the flash. Everything went back to normal then. I tried the same flash again and it was fine as long as I did not hold down shift too long.
Regards
Nawtheasta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users