Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting ready to build comuter and upgrade OS to 64bit

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

I'm getting ready to build a PC that will have up to 8gb of Ram and I know that with more than 3gb I need to have a 64bit OS. I have been using
my XP home edition for 9 years and am ready to make the change. I know that everyone does not like Vista, and some have skipped it in hopes
that Windows 7 will be better etc... but I will be needing the OS soon.

I was wondering which version of Vista is recommended. I've read that Ultimate is liked by some, but what are the reasons for this?
Is this comparable to XP Pro?

When is this Windows 7 going to be available to the public?

Here is what my system will look like:

MD Phenom 9850 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core
Black Edition Processor Model HD985ZXAJ4BGH - OEM

or

APEVIA X-TELSTAR-JR S-Type X-TSJST-AL Silver / Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor

ASUS M4A78 PRO AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

I'm not looking for a gaming computer, but a fast computer that is up to date, and most importantly Quiet!
I don't want a jet engine sound from a CPU fan! Is it possible to use a Phenom I or II without using a loud fan?
I'm not really going to do any OC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:02 PM

I'm going to move this over to the System building forum so you can get some more expert advice.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

I have the back of a windows vista box right in front of me, in which it compares the difference between each version.

All three versions besides vista basic come with:
Windows Aero (the visual feature with the visual scrolling between tabs)
Enhanced laptop and tablet support (this wouldn't matter for you)
Windows Meeting Space to collaborate and share documents

Vista Home Premium comes with Windows Media Center (and of course the three I mentioned above)

Vista Business has advanced business backup features, and business networking and remote desktop (also the three I mentioned above)

Vista Ultimate includes all of these combined plus Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption to better protect your data against loss or theft.

You should note Vista home premium's media center feature is not available in Vista Basic or Business, and the extra features in Vista Business are not available in Vista Basic or Home Premium.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:43 PM

Which version are you using?

A mostly do a lot of graphic art work, and multimedia, and of course surfing the net.

My main problem with my last system was that my media player would skip when using tools in Photoshop...

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:50 PM

Note also, that if you get this later in the year and get Windows 7. Each copy of 7 will be a superset of the next lowest edition. Windows Vista users, especially if they are home users, should use Home Premium. Vista Ultimate is just a rip off. You will need to determine if you want 32-bit or 64-bit. Since you are using 4GB of RAM, I suggest 64-bit. Photoshop and most programs are compatible with 64-bit. If you want a quiet CPU cooler, you will need an aftermarket cooler. Some of the most efficient and coolest fans are large and smaller cases won't fit them. Below are some suggestions.

Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler
XIGMATEK HDT-RS1283
ASUS Triton 78 120mm EBR CPU Cooler

3939.png

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:02 AM

Note also, that if you get this later in the year and get Windows 7. Each copy of 7 will be a superset of the next lowest edition. Windows Vista users, especially if they are home users, should use Home Premium. Vista Ultimate is just a rip off. You will need to determine if you want 32-bit or 64-bit. Since you are using 4GB of RAM, I suggest 64-bit. Photoshop and most programs are compatible with 64-bit. If you want a quiet CPU cooler, you will need an aftermarket cooler. Some of the most efficient and coolest fans are large and smaller cases won't fit them. Below are some suggestions.

XIGMATEK HDT-RS1283

I dunno i got vista ultimate 64 bit and other then the unstable aero interface that all versions but basic has and has also imrpoved with sp1 im quite happy with it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

So here is a better look at what I am getting ready to buy and build:

If you want a quiet CPU cooler, you will need an aftermarket cooler. Some of the most efficient and coolest fans are large and smaller cases won't fit them. Below are some suggestions.

XIGMATEK HDT-RS1283

I like the first cooler on that list (Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler) but do you think it will fit in the case I chose?

Posted Image

I don't want to spend much more and this does not even include a GPU!

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:12 PM

You can save some money by swapping out the Asus motherboard and getting the ASRock A780GXE/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX AMD Motherboard. You can also get the LOGISYS Computer PS550ABK 550Watts ATX12V. As for the case size, you should use a full ATX like the Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-US-BA-WOPSU. If you need more savings, you can get the AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz, but it is nowhere near as good as the Phenom II.

3939.png

#9 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:41 AM

thanks for the info.

I'm a bit curious about the ASRock Motherboard. Someone else suggested a Biostar TForce TA 790GX.
Are these boards as good as an ASUS? I've only ever had an ASUS and don't know much about other mobo brands
as far as their reliability etc.

What is the reason for the larger case size? I didn't want the larger case size just because it's larger. I'm thinking maybe that you
are suggesting because it would be a bit roomier for airflow etc...

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:44 PM

<<My main problem with my last system was that my media player would skip when using tools in Photoshop...>>

IMO, that's a general sign that you needed more RAM...and/or a sound card that is not onboard and not CPU-intensive.

Skipping of sound files has generally occurred on earlier systems because the sound device was CPU-intensive and the system could only deliver so many CPU cycles to meet processing requests.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=h...mp;aq=f&oq=

Louis

#11 Helio

Helio

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:45 PM

<<My main problem with my last system was that my media player would skip when using tools in Photoshop...>>

IMO, that's a general sign that you needed more RAM...and/or a sound card that is not onboard and not CPU-intensive.

Skipping of sound files has generally occurred on earlier systems because the sound device was CPU-intensive and the system could only deliver so many CPU cycles to meet processing requests.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=h...mp;aq=f&oq=

Louis

Agreed. I had similar issue until I switched to a separate sound card. I even used a basic creative card ($30) and that was enough:)

Edited by Helio, 13 February 2009 - 01:45 PM.

Resistance is futile.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

A larger case often has more fans, meaning it's cooler. Also, it has added depth which is needed if you are going to install the large 11-inch long video cards. Asus boards are good, but a little flaky at times. ASRock isn't as well known as Asus or Biostar, but they consistently get very good ratings with their AMD boards.

3939.png

#13 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:29 PM

I'm not a gamer so I don't know if I'll be needing those kinds of cards. I would like to max out the one PCI-E slot eventually with whatever it takes.

I had the Asus A7n8x-E with on board sound, which is really good. I thought that by using 3gb of Corsair XMS DDR400 PC3200, that that would resolve the problem.
You learn something new everyday. I didn't even think of adding a seperate sound card to stop the skipping. It's usually most noticable when I'm using Photoshop. It doesn't
do it at first, but you can expect it to happen after you've been doing some work for a little while.

I think I just really like the case I've picked out!!

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

Even the lower-end cards are becoming long. If you're wanting to max out a single PCI-E slot, you will be getting a relatively powerful card. I don't think I would have been able to install certain GeForce 9xxx series cards in my old ATX mid-tower due to the hard drive cage getting in the way. The longest card I could get to fit in that case was the 8800 GTS 640MB, and I barely had an inch to spare. You can try installing a sound card in the PC to see if that alleviates the problem, though I would stay away from Creative cards though.

3939.png

#15 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:11 AM

thanks for the info.

I'm a bit curious about the ASRock Motherboard. Someone else suggested a Biostar TForce TA 790GX.
Are these boards as good as an ASUS? I've only ever had an ASUS and don't know much about other mobo brands
as far as their reliability etc.

What is the reason for the larger case size? I didn't want the larger case size just because it's larger. I'm thinking maybe that you
are suggesting because it would be a bit roomier for airflow etc...

Morning: Asrock mainboards are top-notch. Very long lasting. I build custom computers, ans I know many others who have used Asrock. Cheers!
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users