Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB wireless modem randomy unplugs from port

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OmegaWolf747

OmegaWolf747

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

That is to say not physically, but it reacts as though I had unplugged it from the USB port when I have not touched it. My machine is a Toshiba Satellite X205-S7483 with Windows Vista Home Premium x86 SP1. The modem is a Slingshot Wireless Broadband USB modem, which is plugged into one of the primary USB ports on the left side. At random intervals while I'm online, I will suddenly be disconnected from the Internet and then receive the notification that the USB device has been removed, necessitating that the modem be physically removed and plugged back in to re-establish the connection. I emailed their tech support earlier today and so far, no response.

I do not have this problem with any of my other USB devices plugged into that port or the other ports.

Does anyone here use this type of modem and could give some advice? Thank you.

Edited by OmegaWolf747, 11 February 2009 - 04:45 PM.

What is this Internet you speak of?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:26 AM

The Selective Suspend feature in the registry will occasionally recognized a device as not being active and will turn of the power to that item. If you go into the Device Manager and scroll down to Universal Serial Ports and click on the + in the box to expand the tree you will see USB Root Hubs, right click on this and choose properties, under power management remove the check mark in the box for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 OmegaWolf747

OmegaWolf747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:15 AM

Wow! I actually went into Device Manager yesterday and found the entry for the modem, right clicked the properties just as you said and found that very setting for the modem itself and disabled it. I double-checked the entry for USB Root Hub (there were seven separate entries for it) and it is disabled in all of those. Hopefully this is the solution to that problem. Thank you for confirming my suspicion that it is likely that.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:40 PM

Rather than disabling the power feature on all of those download this so that you can tell which devices are where and only disable the one that you are having the problem with.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 OmegaWolf747

OmegaWolf747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:49 PM

The modem (which was made by Novatel) just disabled itself again after working flawlessly for two days. I'm at a loss.

I downloaded the program and am looking at its list of USB things. There are four different references to the Novatel modem, but I'm not certain which one pertains to the random disconnects/disablings.

Edited by OmegaWolf747, 14 February 2009 - 08:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users