Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't start autock not found?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 crASHed

crASHed

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:29 PM

Hello,

I installed a program which I thought was safe. I had it checked with several virus scanner, like I usually do before I install something. The program passed. I installed, my pc froze. I could not close a website that popped up about hot new internet offers. I restarted the pc and wanted to let it run with the last known working version, I chose this in the menu. The pc wanted to start, then came a blue screen where it said? Autochk program not found. Skipping Autocheck. Then it tries to restart again. It never does boot up. I don't know what to do! I am on my laptop now. The pc it happened to is our desktop. I am so screwed. There is a paper on there that I need for tomorrow. Please help!! Thanks.
crASHed

Edited by crASHed, 11 February 2009 - 03:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

Hi, is this an XP, Vista or ? PC?
What program did you try to install?
Do you have a Windows CD?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 crASHed

crASHed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

Hello. It is Windows XP. No, I do not have a Windows CD. I also tried the bootfix command in the Recovery console. It did not work. The program I tried to install was a flash program for a game. But it should not have tried to open any websites, which it did try to. I was not connected to the internet at the time, but I still could not close the window. Everything froze.
Thanks for any help.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:31 PM

I am moving this from Am I Infected to the XP forum so those good brains will see this.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

<<No, I do not have a Windows CD. I also tried the bootfix command in the Recovery console.>>

I guess that I have to ask...how did you gain access to the Recovery Console if you don't have a Windows CD?

If you can truly get to the Recovery Console of XP, then I would suggest trying to run chkdsk /r from there.

"To run the Recovery Console from CD, boot with the Windows XP CD and select "R" at the Welcome Screen.

The screen will switch to black and you will be asked which installation to log on to. If you only have one installation you will type 1 and hit Enter.

Next you'll be prompted to enter your Admin password. By default it is created blank so just press Enter.

At the next line, type chkdsk /r (with space between k and /) and hit Enter."

Allow the command to complete...the screen should show the summary data when it is done (IIRC). Type Exit to reboot the system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2009 - 10:25 AM.

#6 crASHed

crASHed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

I have the recovery console installed on the drive itself. I did try the chkdsk /r command from there, but the problem still persists...

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

Sooo...you are saying that chkdsk /r ran to completion...and you still cannot successfully boot the system?

Are you using any Norton/Symantec utilities on your XP install? From what I see, there are various instances of this caused by Symantec products.

http://www.pchell.com/support/autochknotfound.shtml

Louis

#8 crASHed

crASHed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:03 PM

Yes, chkdsk /r ran to completion and I still cannot boot the system. I did not start it from the CD, since I do not have one. I started it with the recovery console that is on my D drive. Windows itself is is on my C drive. I do not kow if that all makes a difference or not.

No, I do not have any Symantec products on my PC. I use the firewall and antivirus sotfware from my ISP. I read into those issues, before posting here. Yet, I have no idea how to really find out if there are issues with any paritions. I did not create any partitions myself on the PC. They were pre-installed.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

Well...even if there are problems with the partitions...you don't have any tools to attack those.

My suspicion is that the partition file structure has now become garbage...and I would do a clean install, based on that premise. Not suggesting such to you, just stating what I would do. My situations where NTFS becomes scrambled point me in that direction.

Let's see what others might think.

Louis

#10 crASHed

crASHed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:51 PM

Well, would that mean that I have lost all my data on that drive?! :thumbsup:

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

It means that I...can offer no solution to your situation, based on what you have presented as facts...and what I know.

I am but one person who attends this forum, hence the suggestion to await further inputs from others.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users