Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Instant Messenger

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jPaulB

jPaulB

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:06 PM

Hello Everybody,

I hope someone can get me looking in the right direction to correct (or even understand) this issue.

People have told me that they are receiving messages from me via Instant Messenger. These messages have been links to other sites.
I receive messages from other people on my contact list that have been links to other sites.

Issue is: My computer has been off... yet people are getting messages from me? In the same fashion, the messages I may get are from people who tell me they were out of the house and their computer was not even turned on.

Instant Messenger version 2008 Build 8.5
Windows XP Professional

What is going on here?

Many thanks,
Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:11 PM

I got a scam e-mail which was listed in the header as hotmail from one of the mods here. I hadn't completely set up my hotmail/messenger/MS Live settings yet. Didn't have any contacts listed on either hotmail or messenger, didn't have either listed on BC in my e-mail/messenger profile either. I had never messaged that mod here, nor has that mod ever messaged me. Don't know if the spam is being put together from multiple data streams after signing up with MS Live, or if that is even possible!

So far I haven't heard back from people saying they are receiving spam e-mail from me. Check out the breaking news on security and viruses. You may find something pertinent there.

I had been receiving e-mails (placed in my spam folder by my ISP) that stated my e-mail address was showing up in my profile, etc. on various forums, mail sites, etc.

Just checked out a really rude spam subject by googling the sender: she did not send it. I had received several spam e-mails about a pharmacy order with a certain number, and google had her name on the search list in relation to the spam e-mails. the poor woman had placed her name on a job search site--those were the first couple google hits.

I guess I'd better go to Spamhaus to check my address. . .

Edited by fuzzywuzzy6, 11 February 2009 - 02:54 PM.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:30 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSN_Messenger

Start with the part 3/4's of the way down the page with Malware
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 nospam

nospam

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:36 AM

People have told me that they are receiving messages from me via Instant Messenger. These messages have been links to other sites.

The first poster, jPaulB, it sounds like your account was hijacked (someone may have guessed your instant messenger password) based on what you have described. I would change my password immediately on my IM account. Please let us know what happened when you get a chance.

In regards to your situation, fuzzy (the second poster), my first thought is maybe someone you know had their account hacked and the scammer is impersonating them, but it does not sound like it in this case. I don't think you are hacked, but I don't know all the details, just taking a guess from your post.

I get MSN IM SPIM and report it when I do (and if I have time that day). If you want me to show you how I report I SPIM, I can send it to you in a PM or I can link to a sample online. I have never gotten SPIM impersonating someone I may know. Usually I get hit with SPIM from throwaway live.com accounts and they are advertising dating sites.

Many time attackers use weak passwords such as words that appear in a dictionary or easily guessed passwords and attackers scan for these all the time in email and in IM. Once they get in they usually do things to scam people. They do this in email, IM, websites logins, almost anything you can think of online. That is why using a weak password online is a big no-no.

Though what I am posting below is not about SPIM, it is about someone impersonating people you know by hacking passwords to email accounts on yahoo or hotmail. What they try to do they pretend to be someone you know and tell you through email that they are stranded overseas and need $$ very quickly to return home. Sadly people fall for this as well. It is just a variation of advance fee fraud, sorta like 419 Nigerian scams. You send "your friend" the money and you are then taken.

Take a look at this interesting blog entry by Gary Warner (a spam analyst expert)

http://garwarner.blogspot.com/2009/02/trav...ers-newest.html

Last Friday I had a phone call that sounded like an opportunity to look at a new scam from end-to-end. A retired school teacher in the Birmingham, Alabama area had received an email from a friend, claiming that she was stranded in London, and needed funds urgently to get home. The friend promised to repay the funds as soon as she arrived home safely.

Edited by nospam, 13 February 2009 - 12:47 AM.

#5 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:54 AM

I had checked out the "new" IP address yesterday on Spamhaus; it had one blacklist for lacking SMTP authorization. MY ISP does not automatically provide that, but if I do a connectivity check, there is a place for that authorization there.

Earthlink was sold recently to Macromedia (the TV Guide magazine and .com folks). Their support center was relocated to northern India some time ago from Georgia, USA (the corporate headquarters). My guess is they will be moving their support center somewhat closer to "home" and making other changes, as well.

Both my addresses are fixed and located in my geographical area, being the local phone company.Very different prefixes, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users