Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to make free website.......not a blog....

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hareesh

Hareesh

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:36 PM

I want to make a website for a contracting company but before that i want to know if there is any way of making a domain name without all the names line
.blogspot.com or
.weebly.com or
.live.com

and that too for free????
Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
HareesH
HareesH
Visit our blogs
Made4Tech
YoogleTech
YoogleSoft
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:08 PM

If you don't want a domain like something.com/user or user.something.com then you are going to pay for the domain name register.

You can host your own server if you don't want to use free web hosts (limited, with subdomains etc) or you could pay for hosting.

I have never actually paid for hosting (I've always just dealt with the subdomains) so I can't really recommend any hosts but from what I've seen, GoDaddy seems pretty good. You can host domains for around $10 a year (less than a dollar a month) and I think hosting can be somewhere around $5 a month

http://godaddy.com

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

lhamil64 is quite right. You'll very likely never find a free domain out there (though Microsoft did offer them briefly when launching its Office Live service.) Domain registration is quite cheap ranging from $1.99 to $`10 or so.

I've used http://www.freehostia.com before as both my domain registrar and host. I can't say that my experiences with them have been great, but they're okay for what they charge. I was able to get a year's worth of hosting (with SQL databases, php, and 3 e-mail addys) for about $9.95. You can get free hosting from them without the domain for free (yourname.freehostia.com)

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

I'd like to toss in Moonfruit as a possible website designer. Unusual flash web designer and very easy to use. You get a free site if you have the ads but you would be saddled with a subdomain...

As for the domain name, the prices are very, very low with hosting companies and I use Pickaweb who I have found excellent. Their online help via a sort of chat room was absolutely class.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#5 Flaxtelios

Flaxtelios

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:05 PM

Also Domains that end in .info are usually a lot cheaper and can still look quite nice. :thumbsup: and
are only 1 dollar each =] (keep in mind this is a one year subscription on most sites and if
you add advertisements on your sites [note: as a hint keep it to a minimum] you could easy get
back that dollar... in a year :flowers: In fact a website I ran a while back got me $2.42 on paypal.

Edited by Flaxtelios, 11 February 2009 - 11:07 PM.

Hey I'm Kyle, It's an honour to be in your presence.... hey wait that's your line. :o
Sometimes the Hardest thing and the Right thing are the same.

#6 Hareesh

Hareesh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:08 AM

i'm lookin for something like www.<yourname>.com ...........or something like that................
so the thing is that owning such a domain for free is not practical.......... am i right?
HareesH
Visit our blogs
Made4Tech
YoogleTech
YoogleSoft
Posted Image

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:52 PM

i'm lookin for something like www.<yourname>.com ...........or something like that................
so the thing is that owning such a domain for free is not practical.......... am i right?

Yes, you're right :thumbsup:
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:08 PM

I don't know if they still do it, but Microsoft's Office Live Small Business may offer a free domain. http://www.officelive.com/

You have to use MS's built-in page editor and it doesn't seem to support many web-technologies (like php, MySQL, etc.) but it is (or was) free.

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:12 PM

Microsoft's Office Live Small Business may offer a free domain. http://www.officelive.com/

Yes:
http://smallbusiness.officelive.com/GetOnline/Domain

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

Knarly, man. Just groovy, y'know!

#11 Chosmo

Chosmo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:32 AM

I think, a very good idea is to create a website with a professionel website provider and then you can make a domain redirection if the name is to long.
But with a good provider such as hpage.com e.g. you have the best possibilities to create yor own free website.
The costs are then only for the domain because hpage is completely for free and it offers beginners and also advanced users the possibility to create their own websites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users