Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestion on distros.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Indy452

Indy452

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:29 AM

I thought I would ask this here as this forum appears to have no bias to other distros.

I've been using various distros of Linux for the past two or so years and I like many, But I'm unable to find one I can stick with. I have a few factors that hamper several distros from entering my hard drive. My computer is aging and I am still looking to milk another year out of the old girl. Its a 1300 mhz pentium 4 Gateway with 768 mb ram and two hard drives, a 30 GB for distro and a 20 gb for storage.

I'm looking for a distro that is fast, clean and uncluttered with useless software I never will use but don't understand how to remove. I am wondering if someone could give suggestions on a linux distro that fits some of this criteria.

I like the ease of Ubuntu and the Ubuntu based distros but find they are becoming too bloated for my machine. I currently use a slackware based distro called Absolute but still with this one I am having some issues with the more complex file management system.

I simply just surf the internet, email, some chat, need frostwire, and photo management that picks up my ptp camera and my mp3 players.

Any suggestions that do not include MS would be great. I guess I'm wondering what others with similar hardware are using?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:11 PM

I, personally, love Ubuntu. You may want to try out Fluxbuntu or Xubuntu which are designed with older computers in mind.

Have you taken the "Which Distro is Right For Me" test?

#3 Indy452

Indy452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

I, personally, love Ubuntu. You may want to try out Fluxbuntu or Xubuntu which are designed with older computers in mind.

Have you taken the "Which Distro is Right For Me" test?

Actually, yes I did. My selections ended me up with Fedora and suse. Ubuntu said it would be too slow. Fedora is one I've never tried but I assume it would be a bit fat as well.

I was wondering if anyone has tried Frugalware? It seems to be up my alley but installations have always failed on me for some reason or another.

Thanks.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:55 PM

Hmmm... never tried Frugalware. Ler's take a look... (please stand by: Wikipedia is loading...)

Based on Slackware but with a different Package Management System. Aims to release software packages as close as possible to the original releases. Looks nice. I may have to try it out.

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:19 PM

TinyMe is a small, bloat free distro based on PCLinuxOS.
Check it out.
http://www.tinymelinux.com/doku.php

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users