Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find service

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bbhold

Bbhold

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:21 PM

Hi everyone!

Seems like I do have some version of CoolWWWSearch stuck on my computer, at least that's what AdAware keeps telling me.

Everytime I start WindowsXP the Internet Explorer pops up with page:blank as the default webpage. Other popup windows with fake ads for anti-spyware software also keep appearing. Neither the newest versions of AdAware nor Spybot can successfully delete this problem, it just keeps reappearing.

Now, I read that www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial85.html will take care of this. I downloaded all the programs needed, printed out the tutorial and my HijackThis-Log and started to do the step-by-step instructions.

However, I didn't get very far, not beyond Step 2 to by precise. It says that I have to go to the Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and look for one of these 3 services: Network Security Service, Workstation NetLogon Service or Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Helper.

Since I have the german version of WindowsXP none of these exact terms are there. I don't know the exact german translation of these 3 either and was unable to find their german equivalents on the internet. I narrowed it down the way that it must probably be one process that is currently running. But I have no clue which one... The only one running that I could somehow relate to one of the 3 mentioned in the tutorial is "Remoteprozeduraufruf (RPC)" but this one I cannot disable or stop. The buttons are greyed out. I was thinking that this was maybe because I wasn't logged in as administrator but I was.

Can anyone help me with this? Or, if I am totally wrong on this, can anyone tell me how to get rid of this stupid spyware?

Thank you very much!
-Tomke

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:43 PM

I suggest you post a new log to the appropriate forum, where are great team of volunteers can walk you through the process.
Please read the instructions carefully:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s_Log-t956.html

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users