Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System hangs on XP/Vista Install.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Moco

Mr. Moco

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:56 AM

Hello everyone, i would normally place my first post in the introductions forum but unfortunately i lack the time this morning. Last night i received my Processor that i ordered from Newegg which was the last piece of the new build puzzle. As i installed the processor and placed the machine upright, i naturally got that 'Something isn't going to work' feeling. Sure enough, 1 of my 2 hard drives were already showing errors in the bios. I unplugged the buggy one and restarted the machine to find that everything seemed 'OK'. 3252 MB of my 4GB of ram was showing up, which at first i thought was odd but i ignored it as after i restarted the machine 4GB showed up.

I plopped the XP PRO SP3 CD in my Sony DVD drive and started installing away. Everything was going smooth, did a full NTFS format as to check for bad sectors in the hard drive. That did good and now windows was ready to start copying files over to the HD. 4 times in a row it froze on Driver.cab and in my head i knew that this was probably a dirty/faulty cd. Sure enough, when i took it out it was slightly dirty so i just grabbed my All Windows DVD and threw that in there. Clean as a whistle i mind you it started up with the same old same old. (on a side note, for some reason my Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard would only work if Legacy USB support was set to auto in the MB options). Anyhow, that XP gave me the EXACT same issues.

So i had a brand new Home disk lying around and i was like well what the heck, i'll give that a shot... sure enough, same darn thing. Now i went online did a few hours of research and came to the conclusion that i must have bad DVD drive. I just happen to have a brand new CD-Rom drive that was given as a Christmas present which got a few laughs (whose laughing now) and i took out the dvd drive and threw in the cd-rom. Now, that windows xp home disk is clean, when i say brand new i meant still in the shrink wrap. So THIS time, it went right past driver.cab, right past oembios.something i can't remember and it started to slow down then came to a complete halt and said IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. That points to bad memory right there and as soon as i get out of class i'm heading to the UPS store with my Newegg RMA to get a new pair of memory.

The reason behind this post is to make sure i did the right things and the conclusion i came to was correct. Oh yes, i did try to install with a brand new vista disk but it also kept freezing up, why i didn't mention that is because it shared the same fate with all the other attempts. So, to wrap this long hair-pulling story up, do you guys think i made the right choice by narrowing it down to memory and an obviously bad HD? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! One last thing, whenever the driver.cab and other files being copied froze, the DVD-rom light would go off and it would stop reading the cd/dvd's thats how i came to think my drive was effed up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

I would be suspect of the processor or the memory. You should be able to run a memtest program. There are many free ones out there.

You could also try starting the install with only a couple of sticks of RAM. Or just a single stick. Whatever works. :thumbsup:

You also need to tell us what brand of Motherboard you are using as well as which processor and/or memory you have. There might be something you are missing.

:huh:

DR

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:47 AM

First I would try removing all unessicary hardware from the system and try installin Vista/XP with the bare minimal. (Hard drive, CPU, single stick of RAM, DVD, and of course Mobo)

However I think we can conclude that the DVD drive is bad if it cannot get past driver.cab and your CD-ROM can. (haha)

If that fails, add all your ram and mem test it.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 Mr. Moco

Mr. Moco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

Sorry it took a bit longer for me to respond that i would normally prefer, however i managed to resolve the issue. I do realize, of course, that my little 3 paragraph short story was a bit ambiguous as far as explaining what hardware i was using and i do apologize. It turns out it was indeed bad memory. The same morning i made the post i printed the RMA from Newegg and shot over to my work (office depot) to drop off the package at our UPS hub and price matched a 2GB Kingston stick of ram to double check my conclusion. Sure enough, as i fired her up the XP install went flawlessly on the XP Pro CD i assumed was too scratched to be used. None the less, my manager is going to let me return the RAM as soon as my 4GB kit comes back in from Newegg. Pretty nice of him considering its against our new return policy. But i managed to coerce him by giving him the "i'm a poor college student" sob-story. Anyhow, i really appreciate the advice and hopefully i can return some in the future.

Thank you Gentlemen (and ladies of course)

-James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users