Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Open Suse 11.0

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:17 AM

Morning guys: I recently built a custom computer in an Antec 300 HTPC case, small it is not. But, quiet w/ 3 120mm case fans it is! the mainboard has no onboard graphics, it's an MSI K9N Neo V3, the CPU is an AMD 5600+, the quiet graphics card is an nVidia 8600 GTS. I cant believe how quiet this rig is, anyway I loaded Vista Ultimate 32 bit and the Linux Open Suse 11.0 32 bit. Can I unload the Vista, please explain how? And keep the Linux as a plus, for potential customers.?? Thanks in advance for the response
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:59 PM

Removing Vista shouldn't be hard. If there's nothing you want to keep on the Vista partition (like documents, pictures, music, address books, etc.) you can simple reformat the partition from within Linux and edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file (always make backups before editing system files!) to remove the entry for Vista.

#3 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:36 AM

Removing Vista shouldn't be hard. If there's nothing you want to keep on the Vista partition (like documents, pictures, music, address books, etc.) you can simple reformat the partition from within Linux and edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file (always make backups before editing system files!) to remove the entry for Vista.

Thanks Andrew, I built this HTPC "For Sale", I just wish to remove the Vista OS. Is there another way to remove it outside of Linux? I'm not real literate in Ubuntu or OpenSuSE 11.0, so I need a different fix. Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:43 AM

well if you dont want to use the linux partition manager, you could boot up off the vista DVD, get to the partition manger for vista and delete the partition manager that way. after you delete it just exit out of the installation. the catch is if you do it that way it will most likely mess up the grub menu and youll have to do something like download supergrubbootdisk to fix it most likely. my question is, whyd you put vista on it if u were gonna sell it without it? was it a customer request? if not, why not install something like Ubuntu or Kubuntu, their a lil more user friendly then OpenSuSe. just a suggestion. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:27 AM

Patriot09: I began this business for audiophile friends who wanted relatively quiet HTPC's. I am a great builder, a terrible programmer. Yes, a customer asked me to see if the build would boot the Vista OS, and asked me to load it as a test. Then they asked me to load Open SuSe 11.0. So, I did the above in that order, 1st Vista 32bit , then Open SuSe 11.0. Thanks for the advise,Alan

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

Or you could just reinastall Linux and overwrite everything on the hard drive.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

Patriot09: I began this business for audiophile friends who wanted relatively quiet HTPC's. I am a great builder, a terrible programmer. Yes, a customer asked me to see if the build would boot the Vista OS, and asked me to load it as a test. Then they asked me to load Open SuSe 11.0. So, I did the above in that order, 1st Vista 32bit , then Open SuSe 11.0. Thanks for the advise,Alan

I wasnt doubting your building abilities, I just wasnt sure if it was for a customer or just for a display computer. It was a curiousity question not questioning your building abilities at all. and andrew has a point you could just reinstall linux and overwrite the entire Hard drive, that way its consistent. (dont have to worry about an extra partition if you dont want it)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#8 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

Patriot09: You gave me an Idea, use this computer as a display, or Storefront. I could just replace the HDD with another of their desired gig, 500 ,640 1 terabyte, Huh? Thanks, what do you think? Alan

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

well, you could but if its already sold It would be better to give the customer the computer they ordered and build a new one for display. me personally, I use my own computer as an example of my builds that way they can see one that is being used for what it was designed for, but a display comp is a good idea. as for size wise it depends on how much you or the customer is going to use the HD. 500 gigabytes is actually about 250 gig more then I need, but if their using it as a media center and downloading a lot of movies and music, or as af file server a terrabyte HD might be worth the money, but for around the house or causual gaming/movie playing 5-600 gigs is probably more then enough.

picard5.jpg

#10 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:38 AM

well, you could but if its already sold It would be better to give the customer the computer they ordered and build a new one for display. me personally, I use my own computer as an example of my builds that way they can see one that is being used for what it was designed for, but a display comp is a good idea. as for size wise it depends on how much you or the customer is going to use the HD. 500 gigabytes is actually about 250 gig more then I need, but if their using it as a media center and downloading a lot of movies and music, or as af file server a terrabyte HD might be worth the money, but for around the house or causual gaming/movie playing 5-600 gigs is probably more then enough.

Thanks Patriot09, I may just reinstall. I may have to move soon, and I am preoccupied with that Problem. You and Andrew really helped me , Thanks Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users