Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Browser Hijack

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jbfstplk

jbfstplk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 02:42 PM

This has occurred on several computers. MicrosoftAntispyware finds a possible browser hijack and removes it. Running HijackThis asks, "Do you recognize this:

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

EasyCleaner from ToniArts indicates that the registry has this as an invalid entry, and I delete it again, but it continues to come back.

In the past I have had trouble with the about:blank hijack and some others, but but the About Blaster doesn't find the above notation. Can anyone give me further info or links that will help explain this?

Thanks.

Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:15 PM

Try running CurrProccess you can find it at this web site.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cprocess.html

Install the program, run it, then open up your web browser, find your webbrowser in the list of processes and select it. Down below you will be able to see all the .dll's running in the back round of the program. If the .dll is signed by a well know vendor then its okay. If its not look it up on google and you'll be able to find out if its a hijacker or what.
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

#3 jbfstplk

jbfstplk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:40 PM

Thanks much Papa. This neat little program does seem like a help. Since I have removed the problem again, I do not see any bad DLLs. I suppose that I'll have to delete them and unregister them too.

Any further thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users