Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer resets itself or freezes when starting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blueczar

blueczar

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:05 AM

Hi, I had this problem last night. I was playing the Lotro online game when suddenly the screen went blurry and the computer froze and then restarted itself. I never saw anything like this before - (occassionally the game does cause the computer to freeze but not with the weird lines that were on the screen this time). When it restarted it did not start windows correctly - a blank blue screen appeared with the mouse arrow, but none of the icons or start menu came up. After restarting again with the same problem, I ran the HP PC recovery program that you get when you press F10 at the start. This said it returned the PC's operating system to its factory condition, but did not delete files. After going through all the 'setting windows up for the first time' type stuff the computer logged onto windows correctly, but when I went about reinstalling MS word (as I had to reinstall all programs now that I had run PC recovery), after about 10 minutes the same weird lines went across the screen, the computer froze and it reset. Now when I turn the computer on it doesn't log onto windows at all - gets combination of either blank blue or black screens, fuzzy lines or resetting itself.

I thought it might be a hardware problem or a virus? I haven't had anything like this happen before and I have had the computer for 2 1/2 years. Is there anything else I can do or will I have to replace it?

It is a HP Pavilion m7388a Media Center PC running windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:03 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I would try removing the current installed video drivers...and then rebooting and replacing same from the HP website.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=1831763

How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

Why do think that this might be caused by a virus? What programs do you have installed (and updated) to protect your system from malware of varying sorts?

Louis

#3 speedbird76

speedbird76

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:08 AM

From a hardware POV, it could be many reasons:

-excessive heat causing the system to lockup. Check if all the fans are running, especially the CPU and graphics card fans.

-bad graphics card. Maybe it's been damaged in some way.

-RAM is damaged. if you have 2 sticks, try booting up with one at a time to see if the symptoms repeat.

-Damaged power supply unit which is not able to supply sufficient power to the system.

- Unlikely, but it could also be a bad hard drive.

#4 blueczar

blueczar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:58 AM

Thanks guys.. Hamluis, I can't get to the point where I could change drivers as I can't get into windows at all now. I thought it may be a virus as I often end the norton program through CTRL ALT DEL end process, as it constantly chews up 50% of CPU. (as a matter of fact the subscription expired but it still runs) But I still have windows firewall on so I don't know.
Speedbird76 the fans were working, not sure how to check the other things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users