Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan.DNSChanger-Codec

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:00 PM

Hi,

I recently found that I had Trojan.DNSChanger-Codec on my system and even though I am sure that it is gone, I cannot stop wondering what risks it could have caused. Googling it tells me that this type of trojan redirects web pages but I am wondering if it does anything other than that, does anyone here know if it does?

Btw, it never did redirect my web pages and I never had any symptoms that it was even there. I only found it because I wanted to check out the Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware programs. Malwarebytes did not find it but SuperAntiSpyware did. I had no problems in getting SuperAntiSpyware to remove it and have run many scans since then, all of which show no problems at all.

Thank you to everyone who can provide me with any information about this trojan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:57 PM

I think you will find this informative.
Malware Silently Alters Wireless Router Settings
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:06 AM

I think you will find this informative.
Malware Silently Alters Wireless Router Settings

Thank you for your help, however, I had read that article earlier and it really did not clear things up for me. I do not use a router and unless I misunderstood what I read, that article seems to mostly deal with the way routers are being effected by it.

I do appreciate your help.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:02 AM

No problem here is some more

The DNSChanger trojan is usually a small file (about 1.5 kilobytes) that is designed to change the 'NameServer' Registry key value to a custom IP address. This IP address is usually encrypted in the body of a trojan. As a result of this change a victim's computer will contact the newly assigned DNS server to resolve names of different webservers. And some of the resolved names will not point to legitimate websites - they will point to fake websites that look like real ones, but are created to steal sensitive information (like credit card numbers, logins and passwords).

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/dnschang.shtml
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

Thank you for the information. I guess what has had me spooked is that my webbrowser was never redirected so that made me wonder if it was causing some other malicious behavior like capturing keystrokes or something. I do online banking on this computer so I get a little bit nervous when I get something funky on it, especially when that something funky does not do the things it is expected to do and I have no idea how I got it. I have not installed anything questionable or opened anything from an email. All I can figure is either it came from a website or has been on my system, doing nothing harmful, for a very long time, as in, since before I got this computer from my parents almost a year ago. Seems like whatever this trojan was suppose to do, it did not do and while I do not understand why it did not do it, I am happy it did not, so I guess I should just stop worrying about it.

I very much appreciate the info you have given me about it, thank you.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:56 PM

You're welcome!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users