Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services- svchost.exe er

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smgrundy

smgrundy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

This problem has been haunting me for almost a week now. I was originally infected with the Win32Backdoor.TDSS virus and it completely killed both PC's on my home network. I ended up doing a complete reinstall on my Laptop with Windows XP Professional...loaded all the updates from Windows and everything was running smoothly. Before reinstalling windows I was able to retrieve some files (documents) and put them on an SD card. I scanned the SD card with Malwarebytes' Anti Malware and SpyHunter seperately. Both returned no errors. After putting those documents back on this computer I rebooted and Spyhunter kept blocking files like 1.tmp and then it would change to 5.tmp and 16.tmp and so on. I ran Malwarebytes again and it found and removed about 10 of these various .tmp files. I rebooted again and the computer now comes to the background and no further...no desktop, no taskbar. I ctrl+alt+del and get the Taskmanager and from there I can open a run command and browse to control.exe which opens the control panel and when that happens the desktop and taskbar return to normal (It won't let me run explorer.exe from here for some reason). Once it opens I will get a "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" error and when I click to see the details on the error I get this:

szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.5512 szModName : unknown
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 09909382

Then I click on "see technical data" and I get this:

C:\DOCUME~1\Shawn\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0243.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Shawn\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0243.dir00\appcompat.txt

The error comes up every 25-30 seconds after I hit "don't send" on the error reporting window and eventually...it will freeze or crash. I really don't want to have to reinstall AGAIN and none of the anti-virus or anti-malware programs are fixing the problem. Please help!!

Thanks!

Shawn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:21 AM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 smgrundy

smgrundy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:07 PM

It has progressively gotten worse now. I can't even open explorer.exe upon startup. I try to open it directly or through control.exe like mentioned in my original post but it gives an error saying explorer.exe cannot be found. When I try to boot into safe mode it gets the whole way to the logon screen but when I log on it just stays black...never shows the desktop. I have so much data and pictures that are on this computer and not backed up...please help!

Thanks

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users