Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hey everyone I'm building a gaming pc

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Rudy Rivera

Rudy Rivera

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

Hey everyone I finally decided to join the forum ! I've been watching this forum for some time now and I decided to build a computer for gaming, researching, music, etc etc..

I put together some parts on Newegg and the estimated cost is about $1600.00 for everything. I won't be getting everything at once I'll be getting different parts at different times and eventually I'll build everything together little by little.

I was thinking something like getting the case first then motherboard and everything else so that I can build it as I go along but now I'm thinking about getting all the parts first then getting the case and building it all in one shot.

I'll be getting a full ATX tower so I'm sure I'll have enough room for everything atleast I hope.

Here is the list I put together. Let me know if I can change anything for a better bang for my buck or if I could get something cheaper that does the same exact job as what I have listed..

Motherboard - $199.99
ASUS M4A79 Deluxe AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU - $229.00
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition

RAM - $59.99
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Harddrive - $129.99 - I'm actually thinking about changing the terabyte to something like a 300GB or a little more.
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Video Card - $239.99
EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

DVD Burner/Reader - $23.99
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F

Mouse - $29.99 - I love this mouse for gaming specifically
Logitech 904353-0403 Gray 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired TrackBall TrackMan Wheel

Keyboard - $54.99
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000

Case - $129.99 - I'm still unsure on which case I want.
Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

PSU - $129.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Monitor - $169.99
Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor

CPU Fan - $36.99 - May or may not get
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

Subtotal: $1,434.89 - Which isn't that bad I would say for a gaming pc but I will be buying in portions so maybe prices will go down or newer products will come out..

So how does the list look? What can I do or change around?

Edited by Rudy Rivera, 11 February 2009 - 07:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:51 PM

Someone's been doing their research! There are a few things I would change. For your budget, I would go with an i7 platform. However, if you want to save money AMD still isn't bad.

i7 Suggestion

Motherboard: DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6 LGA 1366 Intel X58 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - This supports both SLI and Crossfire. $229
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - The i7 will run circles around even the Phenom II. $294
RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Get two of these kits to fill up all slots on your motherboard. $139

AMD suggstions are below, great CPU BTW. If you are planning on overclocking it, get an aftermarket CPU cooler, like the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283.
Motherboard 1 - ASRock AOD790GX/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard - Asus boards are good, but a little weird at times, this is an alternative. Note that with the motherboard you selected, you will get Crossfire not SLI even though you chose a Nvidia card. $104
Motherboard 2 - ASRock K10N780SLIX3-WiFi AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - If you want SLI instead of Crossfire. $159

Case suggestion, when you get into the $150 and above category, your choice depends mainly on the look of the case. That said, the NZXT Zero Black/Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower looks good too. But my favorite case is still the COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP, even though it is steel.

PSU is good, but I would get the CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W since it is cheaper, very well made, and comes with a good mail-in rebate.

Your monitor is an odd size and you will be paying for it. I suggest going either 22 or 24 inches. For 22 inches, the Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor is an excellent choice. Is 1.6 inches of space really worth $100 more with the Asus?

3939.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:55 AM

cant go wrong with AMD contrary to popular belief I believe the AMD chips do hold their own when compared to the intel counterparts, but I would avoid the MSI video card, for nvidia Id think a EVGA or PNY brand Nvidia card would do you better, but whatever you do I hope your happy with it, looks like it will run good :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:28 AM

Most video cards are almost identical, quality and what is included with the bundle is what's different between card makers. The Phenom II does hold its own against the Core 2 CPU's but not the i7's. I hope AMD comes out with something that can rival the i7 soon.

3939.png

#5 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:28 AM

Most video cards are almost identical, quality and what is included with the bundle is what's different between card makers. The Phenom II does hold its own against the Core 2 CPU's but not the i7's. I hope AMD comes out with something that can rival the i7 soon.

Me too, Go AMD!!
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#6 Rudy Rivera

Rudy Rivera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

Hey everyone, Thanks for the reply! DJBPace07 I appreciate all the information!

I went AMD because I know people locally that have AMD and they love it and how the performance is for a decent price. Also because I have my car payments, student loans, and other bills that I'm paying right now. I'm 19 and I've always been into gaming but lately I've been so busy with school and work. I used to play Q2 and Q3 back when it was real popular on the computer. I also loved Return To Castle Wolfenstein those were some good times.

I want to build a computer to game again on the weekends or something like that hah..

DJBPace07 I'm going to make another wish list on Newegg with the parts you suggested and I'll edit the first post With the AMD parts list and the Intel parts list.

I have a micro center near me in paterson I believe and I was told they have extremely good deals there so I might head down there with a list of parts and compare them. Also in the end of every month there is a computer show near me where they also sell parts so I'll be going there too.

I'll make the list tonight when I get home.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:26 PM

FWIW: AMD's Phenom II processors - The Tech Report - Page 1 - http://techreport.com/articles.x/16147

Louis

#8 Rudy Rivera

Rudy Rivera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:41 PM

Ah I also forgot, wouldn't I need a CPU fan as well? I'm not sure if the AMD CPU comes with one or not, but if it doesn't I was looking at this monster.

Thermaltake SpinQ Performance Series cooler with ultra-lightweight aluminum and six heatpipes CL-P0466 CPU Cooler

I'm about to make that other list in a couple of minutes..

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

Remember, performance in games and applications are not always dependent on the CPU exclusively. Some CPU's do better in some games even though they have the same clock speeds as rival CPU's. The Phenom II's major selling point is performance vs. value when compared to Intel's processors. The Phenom II's come with coolers, so you don't need an aftermarket one unless you are planning to overclock.

Edited by DJBPace07, 11 February 2009 - 05:46 PM.

3939.png

#10 Rudy Rivera

Rudy Rivera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:23 PM

I'm not really looking to overclock. Also how should I go about purchasing the items?

Should I start with the case, powersupply, motherboard, etc etc and build it as I receive it?

Or should I buy what is on sale first and compare prices. I'm going to Micro Center sunday to see how the prices are there.

#11 Rudy Rivera

Rudy Rivera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

Hey DJBPace07, Check out this link below it's a AMD combo on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDet...st=Combo.160276

I think I'll stick with the motherboard and cpu I have. I put a list together with some Intel and wow the price jumped rather high. It's going to take some time to get everything which I know but I don't want to wait that long to get it..

Also I'm thinking about switching the video card to EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP I'm not sure if it'll make a difference or not..

Edited by Rudy Rivera, 11 February 2009 - 06:47 PM.

#12 Rudy Rivera

Rudy Rivera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

I edited my first post with the list of components I'm getting.

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

I don't suggest getting the Asus motherboard you still have on your first post, it does not allow for SLI with Nvidia cards. If you want to use that NVidia card, go for the ASRock K10N780SLIX3-WiFi AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard I had in an earlier post. It's very good and is cheaper and allows for SLI with NVidia cards. You will also need an operating system, with 4GB of memory, you should get a 64-bit operating system like Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I can almost guarantee that Neweggs prices will be lower than those in a brick and mortar store.

3939.png

#14 Rudy Rivera

Rudy Rivera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

Ah I forgot to change the motherboard. I did change it in my Newegg wish list though. Also for the OS I go to school at Lincoln Tech so since the courses I'm taking are owned by Microsoft we get to use the products they give us.

I haven't really took the time to use Vista. I pretty much stuck with XP Pro since I heard Vista had its up and downs.. I could easily get XP Pro but has it been said when Windows 7 will release?

The reason I want to stick with XP Pro is because some software and hardware aren't compatible with the 64-bit. Unless they have fixed them. Especially with some device drivers.

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:28 PM

After SP1 many of the compatibility issues have been ironed out. After looking at your list of hardware, 64-bit Vista is compatible with everything. I've been using 64-bit Vista since its release and my problems have been few. All my games work with 64-bit Vista along with my hardware, so unless you run some deep level items, like security analysis software, you will be able to run your games. In two months, XP's mainstream support will end. This means that only critical security hotfixes will be released for XP. That means no more service packs, reliability updates, or compatibility enhancements for that operating system. If you go with XP now and later decide to get Windows 7, you will have to perform a clean install since no in-place upgrades are permitted from XP to 7. Essentially this is formatting your C: and installing the new OS.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users