Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temperature & Fan Speed Monitoring

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 John Miller

John Miller

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:10 PM

I'm trying to find a really solid application to monitor my motherboard health parameters. My experience to date has been fraught with a host of exasperating annoyances.

I started out with Abit's ABitEQ, provided with my IC7-MAX3 motherboard. It would occasionally misread the sensors and go into alarm, particularly when my system was awakening from hibernation to perform its nightly PM (virus & spyware scans, HDD defragmentation, etc.). It also only allows for complete system shutdown upon alarm; I'd much prefer to enter hibernation. On top of that, the documentation ranges from abstruse to downright wrong, and the GUI is downright hokey.

Then I began using Motherboard Monitor. It, too, occasionally misread a sensor, but less frequently than ABitEQ. Its GUI was somewhat cumbersome, too. That was OK as far as setting up the operating parameters, but it was a real annoyance being unable to gracefully quell the alarm while manually looking for the cause of the problem. And I'm dumbfounded as to why it insisted on resetting the "alarm on error" condition on the alarming source every time an associated alarm was detected.

In the course of using both of the above applications, I found that I had to disable any monitoring functions in the system BIOS, or the sensor misread rate increased significantly.

Most recently, I tried MBProbe. I had to hunt all over the web to find the necessary downloads, since the developer's site seems to be gone. While the documentation is quite professional, the performance is decidedly quirky (as one might expect from beta code). Also, since I'm running Windows XP, I presumably need to install the giveio.sys service, but it appears that it won't install. That leaves me puzzled as to why most - but certainly not all - of the monitoring and reporting functions seem to work properly. That's another reason I sure wish I could access the developer's web site.

So my bottom-line question is this: is there a good, robust system monitoring application out there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:47 PM

The MBProbe beta seems to be still up on MajorGeeks.

I also use Almico SpeedFan (www.almico.com)
'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users