Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Boot files from C: Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

Hello.

While doing some program testing, I made a small mistake (long story, put a "0" instead of "1") which deleted all files on the root of the C:\ drive, as well as most of my D:\.

I was able to recover the files in D:\, but Windows is now unbootable.

The files that were deleted were:
C:\Boot.ini -Recovered
C:\cmldr
C:\CONFIG.SYS
C:\IO.SYS
C:\MSDOS.SYS
C:\NTDETECT.COM
C:\ntldr

Is there a way to restore this machine without having to reinstall Windows? I have an XP CD available.

With Regards,
The Panda

Fix files.

Edited by PropagandaPanda, 11 February 2009 - 08:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

IMO, a repair install of XP would be the best way to go and the only way that I know of to truly restore bootability to XP.

Well...it's not necessarily the only way, I suppose that you might be able to use a boot loader like GRUB but I don't have any experience using that...and since you have an XP install CD, the repair will ensure that all system files wind up where they should (in proper working order).

A repair install takes about 35 minutes and would require reinstall of any critical updates issued since the SP-level of the CD used for the install.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Others here with more experience than I...can probably offer other alternatives.

Louis

#3 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:47 PM

Hello.

I was able to recovery simply by copying the ntldr and ntdetect.com from the CD.

My CD was being annoying yesterday and didn't let me boot into it.

Thanks anyways.

With Regards,
The Panda

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:21 PM

Glad you solved it :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic