Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Repair Setup hangs at 39 minutes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Awesoman

Awesoman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:45 PM

I believe I may have a unique issue, at least compared to other solutions I've read up on around here!

I recently caught Spyware Protect 2009, scanned for it, deleted it, and restarted to nothing but my wallpaper and my cursor. I gave the conventional methods a go--restarting, checking my processes for anything related to the virus and ending it, even ran the windows install disc and used the repair feature.

Now, however, the repair seems to not want to do anything, and simply stops with 39 minutes remaining, giving no hints as to what's causing the problem (IE, it just says 39 minutes remaining, nothing to do with what it was TRYING to install when it stopped) It doesn't freeze, it doesn't give me an error (unless I pop the disc out) and it doesn't ever restart on it's own. I've left it on all night and it made no progress (though the little green squares in the corner kept moving.)

My laptop had the exact same issue as my computer BEFORE I tried the windows disc, and I managed to do some fancy registry editing and task manager maneuvering to get it back to normal.

As of right now, I have access to the task manager (and am able to browse my entire computer through "new task, browse"), the command prompt, and registry editor. I don't believe I will be able to provide an HJT because I can't get to the desktop, and my computer isn't recognizing my flash drive.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Edit: I actually listed it in the Windows XP forum because the virus is gone as far as I know. Now the problem is that Windows Repair Setup isn't making any progress and I need a way to bypass it, or stop the computer from starting setup every time I reboot. Shoulda made that more clear :flowers:

Edited by Awesoman, 10 February 2009 - 06:53 PM.
Moved to a more appropriate forum~TW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

I have usually seen this problem with a bad/dirty cd or a failing cd/dvd drive. During the repair there's not any way the infection can interfer AFAIK.

The last reboot turns control back over to the hard drive and that's when you find out if it worked or not.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Awesoman

Awesoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:15 PM

Would a failing CD drive have no error message? And I can't find out anything about...anything :thumbsup: as long as I'm stuck in setup every time my computer turns on. I can't even get into Safe Mode, it tells me I am unable to because I am in the middle of XP setup.

The CD is spotless btw.

Are there any system files or registries that tell the computer what to do on bootup that might give me something to work with?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:20 PM

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Did you follow this procedure?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Awesoman

Awesoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

Oddly enough, some of it, starting at warning 2. I'll go run and try the first part now.

What I have a feeling will happen though, as it did earlier, is I tried a similar deletion command and got an "access denied" message. I'm the administrator, the computer is only mine and I never enabled any controls on registry editing or anything, thought I had to run a command to allow me to run regedit.

While you look this over, I'll go try the other technique. Cheers!

EDIT: Yep, that's the same thing I tried earlier. When trying to replace boot.ini, I got an access denied. When I tried to use the

attrib -h -r -s C:\boot.ini del C:\boot.ini

my parameters were incorrect, I assume because the first step failed.

Edited by Awesoman, 10 February 2009 - 07:28 PM.

#6 Awesoman

Awesoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

I have confirmed that the problem does not reside in the CD/DVD drive, as I can access all files on the disc by running a new process through task manager. Is there anyway to facilitate installation by "feeding" it the files that it's looking to install?

PS: I likely have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm kinda desperate at this point :thumbsup:

Edited by Awesoman, 10 February 2009 - 08:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users