Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Memory Dump - Can't boot in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cmrisner

cmrisner

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:00 PM

Hi,

I am new to this forum but I was hoping someone might have some helpful advice.

I have a friend who gave me her laptop because she said she kept getting a blue screen error message. After starting it up the first time I suspected it might have some viruses because it was running extremely slow with long lag times when starting applications like IE.

(I don't quite know the specs on her laptop other than it is a Toshiba running XP Home (SP2 I think) with a Pentium 4. Her laptop in running PC-cillin 11 with expired virus definitions)

My first inclination was to try and see if I could find the viruses, so I went to cnet and downloaded Malwarebytes and started a scan. As the scan progressed the computer became increasingly slow. The scan found 186 infected items and then before it could be completed the Blue Screen appeared indicating a memory dump. I tried rebooting in Safe Mode w/Networking and re-initiated the scan. This time a payed more attention and most of the viruses or malware seemed to appear when it began scanning the System 32 folder. Before it could finish scanning the folder it got the same blue screen message after becoming very sluggish (scanning almost one file at a time). I thought the registry might be very corrupted so I tried to do a system restore after restarting but the blue screen appeared before the system restore could be completed.

I tried rebooting in Safe Mode only in order to try and scan only the System32 folder and at least remove the viruses from there but before it could completely boot it got a blue screen and I haven't been able to boot in Safe Mode since.

Now if I try to boot in Safe Mode it loads the drivers and then just keeps processing without moving on to the welcome screen.

What can I do to try and recover without formatting the hard drive? Are there any steps I can take to begin to repair this?

thanks

Edited by The weatherman, 10 February 2009 - 06:17 PM.
Moved to a more appropriate forum~TW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:16 PM

The BSOD and viruses just might be a coincidence.

Now if I try to boot in Safe Mode it loads the drivers and then just keeps processing without moving on to the welcome screen.

Does it stop at a specific driver?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users