Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen appearing shortly after Windows startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 newuser222

newuser222

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

Hey there everyone,
I just found this site, and thought it'd be good to get another opinion on my situation. I am not very good with computers, to be honest. I was basically told my laptop is toast.
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with Windows XP Home Edition.

Anyways, I had been having some trouble with malware and trojan viruses. I had gotten rid of a good number of them up until this point. Anyways. One day the computer froze on me while surfing the internet. When I rebooted it, there had been some programs installed onto the desktop-not sure what they were. The computer then restarted due to saying that it needed to be restarted because of the new installation, and I haven't really been able to get it up and working again since.

Shortly after the Windows page pops up, the blue screen pops up with the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL then there's the stop 0x000000D1, and then four parameters that occasionally vary.
I've turned the automatic restart off.
I've attempted to run additional virus scans under safe mode, but eventually the computer automatically restarts itself due to the DCOM Service Process Launcher failing.
I ran the DST Short Status Test just to see what would happen, and it failed at the Unit 4 Drive Self Test. It said that the Status Bytes were 75. Error code was 100-0142.

That's about what I have right now.
Thanks in advance for the help. (Sorry if it's in the wrong spot!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

Are you able to boot to Safemode?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 newuser222

newuser222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:19 PM

Are you able to boot to Safemode?

Yes, but it takes a while to fully "load" if you know what I mean. Sometimes I have to work through Windows Task Manager to get places. And the computer does eventually restart from the DCOM Service Process Launcher shutting down.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:34 AM

It does sound pretty messed up. Have you tried the Dell recovery from the recovery partition? That might work if it doesn't blue-screen on you
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 newuser222

newuser222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:08 AM

I have not tried the Dell recovery yet. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. :-)
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

#6 newuser222

newuser222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

Ok, so finally able to get my computer booted up in a somewhat normal fashion. Had to reboot it multiple times from the last known good settings (it kept blue screening.) Internet finally works- it kept not displaying and then the computer would get stuck due to loads of popups, then I'd have to go through the whole rebooting process.

So I downloaded MBAM from another computer and loaded it up on here and ran it. I think there were about 66 or so infected files. I can post the results if you guys want. I deleted them, and then rebooted. Then I had to change around the Windows Updates- they weren't working for some reason, and the firewall kept shutting off. So I think we're good with that now.

I used the Dell Driver Reset Tool, but there wasn't anything wrong. When I checked out System Restore- my only available restore point was yesterday, when it was still infected with stuff.
I tried to use the Driver Rollback, but I couldn't figure out which driver was giving me problems. I haven't recently installed anything, except for Malwarebytes, which was just today. I think there is an issue with a driver, I just don't know which one.

It hasn't blue screened since running malwarebytes.

Is there anything else I should do?

(Thanks for the help so far, this site is a huge help!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users