Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adding memory

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Braxton

Braxton

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

Working on my dell dimension 2350. Had a psu problem and am hoping that will be fixed when the parts get here. I was thinking about adding some memory if it turns out ok. What do I need to know in order to find out how much memory I can add or the max I can have? I have 2 slots on the mother board with only one card that is 256mb. Just want to make sure I don't over load it since it is an older comp. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:44 PM

That Motherboard only has 2 slots and supports a max of 1GB. (512 x 2)

It is PC3200 type.

You can also go to www.crucial.com and allow it to do a scan, to see what is in there now.

Good luck.

DR

Edited by rigacci, 10 February 2009 - 04:44 PM.

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

Be sure to unplug it & press the power button to dissapate any stored electricity BEFORE you install or remove any memory . :thumbsup:
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 Braxton

Braxton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:53 AM

So the most I could put on now is 1 x 512? Or would I be better to remove the 256 and add 2 x 512? Would I loose everythign that is saved or is there a way to transfer it?

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

You shouldn't lose any data. That is all on the hard drive, which is not what you are touching.

At the price of RAM these days, it is definitely worth it to upgrade as much as you can.

Good luck.

DR

#6 Braxton

Braxton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:54 PM

Thanks.

Dumb question but I am new to this. What does the ram do, or is there a good place to kinda read a little on it. I have a limited knowledge of how everything works and just kinda want to educate myself a little better.

edit: I think I found my answer or atleast one that I somewhat understood. Are some brands better than others, or anything that I should stay away from, I think I may try to switch over to the 2x512mb, my internet and stuff is running slower than I would like. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Braxton, 12 February 2009 - 01:18 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:07 PM

FWIW:

Understanding, Identifying and Upgrading the RAM in your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/identifying-and-upgrading-ram/

Add More Memory (MS) - http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/addmemory.mspx

Computer Memory Explained - http://www.memorystock.com/memory_explained.html

Louis

#8 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

Sometimes you will find some RAM will work in one computer and hiccup in the next. :thumbsup:

Before buying any RAM I always check the reviews. Reading the reviews can save you a lot of headaches. Even if you don't buy it from them New Egg has some of the best reviews.

Notebooks are usually more finicky than desktops but nowadays you don't really know what is inside. The new HP dc7800 Ultra-Slim DeskTop units use Notebook RAM.

DR

#9 Helio

Helio

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

So the most I could put on now is 1 x 512? Or would I be better to remove the 256 and add 2 x 512? Would I loose everythign that is saved or is there a way to transfer it?

I would definitely go with the 2 x 512. You'll see a tremendous difference from the amount you currently have.
Resistance is futile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users