Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New KVM 4 port switch box

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tim_ver

tim_ver

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

I need a good switch box that will not break the bank. I have a large screen monitor (DVI input), and would like to use all my PC's and laptop on it. I have a docking station for the laptop and it has an analog VGA connection, also two of the pc's (old ones) have analog VGA cards. My main PC has DVI only as this is what the new monitor has for a connection. Can someone please give me some Ideas for 4 port switches to control all for devices with one monitor, keyboard and mouse (Logitech wireless PS2/USB Model: Y-RJ20). If you have any questions please ask.

Right now I have a Belkin 4 port but it does not like my keyboard and mouse. I always have to plug-in the mouse to the pc I switch to directly and also un-plug and re-plug back in the keyboard for it to be seen. And it is also Analog VGA not DVI. It has ps2 connection and I have to use the convectors.

Thank for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:01 PM

I find that as long as the keyboard and mouse are attached when the machine boots up, it will recognize them. If I try and boot up one of the machines that is not selected, it doesn't recognize them and I wind up putting a USB keyboard and mouse on them.

I hope this helps. Doesn't really solve your problem.

DR

#3 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

Ok, I do try this it works for the keyboard but mouse is usb so I have to us an adapter usb to ps2 into the switch and the ps2 to usb into the pc I think this makes it freak out.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

Most KVMs I've tried do not play well with DVI-VGA adapters
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:38 PM

I found this one: CABLES TO GO, 52046 4 PORT DVI KVM W/ AUDIO DVI PS/2

What do you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic